tube questions....

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by crimson on pink, Jun 22, 2005.

1. crimson on pink

crimson on pink Supporting Member

hey, got some questions, wondering if anyone can help. got a '74 sunn model that i just had retubed but am thinking about diffrent tubes already. right now i run it like this. sg>fd2>hot british>sunn>orange 2x12 with v30 and em tonker. anyway, my levels are set so i have a nice clean tone, step on the fulldrive for mild od, and tonebone for serious black dahlia murder crunch or machine head's burn my eyes crunch. anyway, messed with master volume blah blah blah, kinda dig the natural tube breakup, but it's not as smooth as the fd2, right now i have the mullard reissues, which are nice, don't get me wrong, but i'd like to have mild od from the amp and use the hot british to have as a heavy pedal. the 6550's are the gt's, i believe rated at 6 or so on their scale, will i need to switch them out or get the kt88's? can i just switch out the 12ax7's for smoother higher gain ones and leave the 6550's in it, and get close to the same sound. the sound i'm going for is along isis, pelican, insert other newer stoner/doom metal band cliche. haha. sorry about the long post, just wondering what people's thoughts are on some nice tubes. thanks.

2. crimson on pink

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    6550s and KT88s are both VERY clean power tubes. You may want to consider trying EL34s and rebiasing.

In terms of changing preamp tubes, the RFT 12AX7s will get you as close as you can possible get to where you want to be.

It's also possible that the amp will never be exactly what you want it to be. There's a reason there are several hundred different amps out there.

4. crimson on pink

thanks mike, also, great job on the 5751 you helped me pick out for my hot british. awesome sounding now.

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Great, which one did you get and how did it affect the tone?