• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Tube recommendation for '66 Princeton

Mattbedrock

Gold Supporting Member
I have a very delightful '66 (PK) Blackface Fender Princeton that I use as my main practice amp. It currently has two Groove Tube 7025's for pre-amp. I have both GT and Raytheon (black) 6V6's for the power section. The rectifier is a Mulllard GZ34/5AR4. While I love the clean sound, I would like to try preamp tubes with a little more gain to see if I could get a little breakup out of her. Does anyone have a recommendation of a hotter set (or single) preamp tube for this fine machine?

I do usually run a distortion pedal (MXR or TS-9) on the front end for lead tones.

That's a tough order to fill. I have a 65 Princeton NR. To get the kind of gain, you're talking about. I have to use a V-Stack. These particular amps have one less gain stage than a PR and are the cleanest amps this side of solid-state (anybody remember transistors?), and are highly desired for that quality. I only use it when I have to get that particular tone for recording-occasionally I put a Greer Razor Burn Fuzz in front of that(for additional Hendrix/70's grit). On the other side, I use Scumback 12" speakers through Hermida Audio z-Cabs. When I use it clean, the Scumback SA10M provides clarity, tone, and unsurpassed fidelity.

mbratch

You won't get much of a gain difference by changing brands of 12AX7 or 7025.

However, there are some simple mods that can give it a bit more grind. The simplest being to disconnect the global negative feedback loop. I've done it on my Princeton, and it works. I ended up taming it just a little with a higher value resistor than the stock NFB resistor. With this change, you'll also find that the bass is a bit boomier, and there's some added presence.

You might also consider the Stokes or Paul C mods.

Or, trade with someone the 60's BF Princeton for an early 70's SF Princeton Reverb. They're approximately 1-1 in value. :)

After all that, though, it's clean tone isn't quite the BF Princeton tone it was before the mod. So you might want to consider a low gain pedal, like a Barber Silver LTD, Timmy, or something like that.

NotWesYet

I am using a Mullard 12AT7 in the V2 position of a BF Pro Reverb as it gives me a lower output, so I assume it would breakup earlier by having to turn the amp up. I am going to try a RCA 12AT7 to see if there is an appreciable difference. I would think a AT7 in your V1 position would do the same...(but maybe an expert can chime in here.)

jcs

i have a late 65 princeton, you be surprised how much difference there are in 12ax7 in these amps.

i've horded tubes for years and after much trial and error, i have a sylvania 7025 long plate in the pi slot that tests very strong in my b&k 600 (as strong as any 12ax7 i've ever tested in terms of transconductance).

this tube made a big difference in dynamics as well gain, it helps to make certain your 6v6 are biased at or near 70% dissipation.

i have blackplate rca 6v6gt in the amp at the moment and an amperex bugleboy 12ax7 in v1 as well as a mullard gz34 rectifier,the speaker at the moment is a weber 1230-75 celestion copy with pre rola doping (i changed baffles), this is the best sound/response i've achieved with my princeton, i am very pleased and wont change a thing!

a nice od pedal is all i use now to push it just a bit.

Mattbedrock

Gold Supporting Member
I tried out a variety of different 7025, 12AX7 and 12AT7's. Definitely much lower gain with the AT. The 7025's and AX's sounded fairly close to one another. One AX had a particularly interesting ratty tone on 10, but I ended up with the same GT 7025 that I started with - seemed to have the best overall tone and consistency from 4 - 10. I was trying all of them with a LP Classic w/ 57 Classics in it, but just for giggles, I got down my Explorer 2 with Dirty Fingers in it. Man, that amp roared with those hot pickups.

danef

I have a 78 Silverface Princeton (non-reverb). Just wondering about suggestions for 6v6's for maximum volume and headroom. Probably going to convert the baffle for a 12" speaker as well at some point. Oddly, the tubes currently in the amp seem to be smaller than current-sized 6v6's. Is this normal? They are 6v6's, but the glass seems smaller...

Trending Topics