Tube recommendations for a 5F4 Super

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Hoffe_68, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Hoffe_68

Hoffe_68 Member

I just got myself a clone of a 5F4 Super. It's a beauty in lacquered tweed. The builder has done great job finding components for it. Allen Bradley NOS resistors, Mallory 150 caps, Mercury Magnetics Transformers, Jensen p10n reissues amo.
    It plays like a dream and sounds just beautiful. But I just cant stop wondering if changing tubes in it would make it sing even more beautiful.

Now it has EH 12AT7 and 12AX7 preamptubes and Sovtek 5881 output tubes.

I appreciate all recommendations.

Just some pics of it to drool over:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  2. homebrewer99

homebrewer99 Member

In my Victoria 5F4 I like JAN Philips 6L6WGBs for NOS, and the Tung Sol "Reissue" 5881s for modern production power tubes.

New Tung Sol 12AX7s elsewhere, and a NOS 5751 for V1 to bring down the gain (sounds more tweedy and less marshally).

Cheers!

3. Hoffe_68

Hoffe_68 Member

Thanks homebrewer99 for quick response. I 've been thinking about getting NOS. I have NOS Philips 6v6 in my Princeton Reverb II and they sounds just great.
    But it's expensive and a bit hard to get in Sweden where I am.

I'd like to try the TungSol reissues and I'm also interested in the TAD 6L6WGC-STR GE-Style small bottle black-plate. Any experience?
    /Thomas

4. Faustine Amps

Faustine Amps Member

Get those Sovtek 5881 tubes out of there! There are several tubes that sound much better.

The SED "winged c" SV-6L6GC and TAD 6L6WGC-STR "short bottles" are my personal favorites for that amp. Also, I don't know what preamp position the 12AT7 is in, but I don't believe that is an appropriate preamp tube for that amp. If you want an authentic "lower-gain" vintage tone, I recommend using a 12AY7 or 5751 in the first preamp position and 12AX7 in the other two. If you require a little earlier break-up, use all 12AX7s.

But that's just my opinion.

Regards,
    Tim Gregoire

5. Hoffe_68

Hoffe_68 Member

My mistake:jo It's of course a 12AY7.
    /Thomas

6. Hoffe_68

Hoffe_68 Member

Thanks Faustine Amps! I had winged C:s in my SRRI that I used to have. And they sounded way much better than the original Groove Tubes.

I'm leaning towards getting a NOS 5751 Jan Philips in 1st position and maybe some other NOS 12AX7 to position 2 and 3.
    I don't think I can afford NOS output tubes at the moment, so I will probably get either the TAD "shortbottles" , Winged C's or Tungsol reissue 5881

I also wonder if changing the rectifiertube will make a big difference?
    There's a 5U4GBEH in there now.

cheers
    /Thomas

7. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    NOS Tung Sol 5881s or NOS JAN Philips 6L6WGBs (relatively low cost for NOS).

Any NOS 12AY7, NOS/ANOS RCA/Raytheon 12AX7s.

8. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

If it were my amp I would go with the new Tung Sol 6L6GC STR's and any NOS 12ay7 and Sylvania long plate 12ax7's.

9. jpervin

jpervin Member

I have the TAD 6L6WGC-STR short bottles w/black plates in a '68 Bassman and they are very, very nice! They produce a warm, smooth, glassy tone that's perfect for Teles or Strats.