Tube Screamer like pedal with with....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Occam, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Occam

Occam Member

I'm looking for a tube screamer variant but with more control over the mid's preferably one where I can sweep the mids to the frequencies that I need. I'd also like the low-end to be fairly tight and chunky and the highs to remain warm but with that typical tube screamer sting. The thing is that I really love the way my rig sounds with the mid's boosted but my modded tube screamer, the mid's are set too high and the low's aren't deep and tight enough (and it's not true bypass).

2. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

FoxRox ZIM with B9 or H9 Card in CH B.

3. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

The Pedalworx Texas Two Step transcends the TS

4. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Yep. It is exactly what you're asking for. (I'd suggest the B9 card over the H9)
    A

5. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

How about the new FUlltone MOSFET Edition Fulldrive 2 or the Menatone Red Snapper?

6. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Check out the MI Audio Blue Boy deluxe

Blues Boy Deluxe coming soon I finally made a decision about the Blue Boy,... and it's coming back bigger and better than ever. It still retains the same great tone, the major difference being that I'm going to make all the internal controls external, and it will look similar to my fuzz pedals with two large controls ('Gain' and 'Volume'), and 4 small controls ('Character', 'Tone', 'Mids', and 'Brightness'). In terms of changes, I improved the old 'voicing' control to make it operate on the mids exclusively (instead of mids and highs,... I felt that there was too much overlap with the tone control in this respect), and hence I renamed it 'mids'. I've also bumped up the output volume by a factor of two for even more punch. Finally, I found the ultimate IC for the Blue Boy,... the LM1458 IC, which is sooooo smooth. That's going to become the stock IC in the Blue Boy Deluxe. I expect the BBD to start shipping in December. The price should stay the same, hopefully! Here's a picture of my prototype. Note that the finish and printing will be different.

[​IMG]

7. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

well I think my Tube Slammer qualifies although my first one had a big fat bottom not much highs, I emailed Chad at CMATMODS about it and he got me one just perfect.

8. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

i'm probably gonna pick one of these up. those little knobs are a big upgrade from the internal pots.

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I still really love the Visual Sound Jekyll& Hyde. Gives you one side with a tubescreamer type (bit much more "organic" and with more control on the tone) and another Distortion side that can be tuned damned close to the other side, or go balls out distortion, and (as I recently discovered after having this pedal a long time) with the EQ knob can get some killer "Marshall" OD sound.

And it is relatively inexpensive, easy to try out (most music stores have them there) and take for a test spin.

Depending on what you want, a less expensive alternative which is damned good is the Digitech models like
    the Screamin' Blues or Bad Monkey.

10. Occam

Occam Member

Basically I'm just looking for something with the warm crunch and mid-range boost of a tube screamer but I'd like a little control over the mid's (ideally something parametric) while maintaining my lows. Eq pedals just don't seem to work for me the way I'd like, there's something special about an integrated unit. I might start with the new blue boy and then work my way to the Zim if that doesn't work out.

11. dbx

dbx Supporting Member

Just a thought but if you can, try the Little Green Wonder...I was skeptical at first but it does sound really good with the qualities you describe and does get tubey sounding...the Body(Tone) control is not the typical arrangement so you might have to tweak your final EQ at the amp...