1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tube Screamer Mods which is best?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 70's Hard Rock, Dec 19, 2009.

1. 70's Hard Rock

70's Hard Rock Member

who does the best tube screamer mods... in your opinion of course!

2. rongtr

rongtr Member

Analog Man!! He's been doing them longer than anyone else as well- (I think).

3. Brian Maestro

Brian Maestro Member

Analogman 808 Silver mod

4. MERCYFULFATE

MERCYFULFATE Member

Keeley mod plus is awesome!

5. Hangfire

Hangfire Member

Signa Drive - end of thread

jkn - post away

6. 6StringStrummer

6StringStrummer Silver Supporting Member

I with the Analogman camp. - he definitely knows his stuff about tubescreamers. I've used my AM modded TS9 live quite a bit and it just kills.

7. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I started out with an Analogman Brown and then went to the Keeley Mod Plus. After that I got a Analogman Silver but recently I pulled the old Mod Plus out and stuck it on a board, I had forgotten just how good that thing was. They are all good.

8. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    I prefer the AM silver mod'ed Maxon OD-9 myself :p

9. small axe

small axe Member

i vote analogman...

10. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

If you want a TS style pedal, but don't have one to mod, the MJM Phantom Overdrive is incredible!

11. SHM

SHM Member

That's the one for me.

12. sutherland

sutherland Supporting Member

I absolutely love the 808 circuit and I've tried so many of the derivatives that have saturated the market. I'm assuming since you are asking about Mods, you already have a TS-9/OD-9 in possession?!? If so, I believe that Analogman's Silver Mod is hands down, the best mod on the market (also happens to be my favorite OD).

The Silver Mod has a much more balanced EQ, the end result is a smoother and fuller sounding TS. The gain is much richer and doesn't have the slight treble tinge that the stock TS9/OD9 have.

If you are looking for the best 808 pedal out there and don't have a pedal to mod, my answer is still the same....Analogman Maxon OD-9 Silver Mod.

13. Leftyman

Leftyman Silver Supporting Member

Bottom line is there are two main guys out there modding tube screamers. Analogman and Keeley. Analogman mods his pedals more to vintage specs at least the 808 mod. The silver mod is a little more "open" sounding. Keeley hot rods his tube screamers. Giving them more gain and whatnot. So, if you are looking for a true vintage correct tube screamer, your best bet would most likely be Analogman. If you are looking for a hot rodded tube screamer Keeley would be your best bet. However, the tube screamer is the most copied overdrive circuit in the history of overdrive pedals. You could spend a lifetime trying them all out and probably still never hear them all.

14. neville5000

neville5000 Supporting Member

ToadWorks Texas Flood.

15. Will-

Will- Member

Silver Mod wooooooo

16. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

I've tried Analogman and Keeley as well as numerous others. You are right though. The Signa Drive owns them all.

17. spitshineguitars

spitshineguitars Member

18. twostring

twostring Member

It all depends on what you're looking for. There are so many things you can do with a tube screamer, and it all comes down to what you want and what your ears hear.

I started with the same question you posted. I figured it out by getting surgical with a soldering iron and really learning what did what inside of the tube screamer. I ended up with the best sounding TS for me, and it's also something that no one else offers.

YMMV

19. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    +1
    but I'd add that the AM Maxon OD-9 silver mod'ed to a TS-808 also adds about 20% more gain to the stock pedal.
    I'd describe it as a hot rodded vintage tubescreamer. It's also the best booster of a tube amp dirt channel I've ever heard.
    But really... both the Keeley & the AM mod'ed pedals are great. Can't go wrong either way :)

20. Telepatio

Telepatio Member

Gearmanndude does a tweaked TS called the Luther Drive that is pretty killer if you like Tubescreamers. Gives it a little more high-end that you can dial in. Plenty of online videos.