• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Tube Screamer Stacking with ODs, Boosts, Second Tube Screamer, etc.

mikoo69

Silver Supporting Member
Running a an Analogman Silver Modded Tube Screamer with a King of Tone. Been experimenting with the TS before and after the KOT and not sure what's the best order yet. Wondering what others are doing?

The TS is set with the gain at about 9-11 o'clock and the volume between 1 and 3 o'clock. Using it more of a "clean boost" with just a bit of grit, and mainly for the midrange bump that it gives for cutting through on leads, and the sustain compression.

The KOT is used more for composed parts that fit in the arrangement better. Red side is set to a light OD and the Yellow to light Clean boost, just to get a little extra grit, character and volume for certain parts. I tend to only use the Red OD side when also using the yellow side (OD>Clean Boost), and that sound works great for lead lines or parts that need to sing, but not cut through in the same way a TS does. For instance, both sides of the KOT are great for slide playing or call and response style riffs in an arrangement for example.

Since the TS is set relatively low gain, there are moment during solos when I would like to take it over the top, and push the tubes a bit harder than the TS does on it's own. The TS seems to stack better with the Yellow Clean side rather than the Red OD side, though I could see a use for both. All 3 on at the same time is a bit too much and too noisy.

Currently deciding if I should run the TS into the KOT or the other way around. Thought I'd ask what others prefer whether stacking a TS with a KOT or another OD/Clean Boost. Anyone prefer running 2 Tube Screamers stacked instead of a TS and a Clean Boost?

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
I like my TS going into whatever OD pedal I am stacking it with. It gives a little more overdrive to the pedal it is hitting, adds some mids, and a little volume. If you set them low enough, two TS's together can sound good, but I prefer stacking the TS into something more open and uncompressed like a Red Snapper, F*** overdrive, or Gain Changer, etc.

vegetablejoe

^^ adding to his inputs... besides something more open, something with a little more grit works well with a TS - RAT, OCD, Open Road, BD-2. That's why the Jekyll and Hyde dual pedal is popular.

fwiw, AM's Sunface and Beano Boost pedals partner quite well with the KOT.

Some people can make 2 stacked TS's work; I couldn't. Always wanted a bit of grit. While it was a neat pedal, I gave up my VS Double Trouble. Quite happy now using a VS VS-XO, alternating with a Route-808 + Open Road tandem.

mikoo69

Silver Supporting Member
I also have a Beano and a 183 Sunface, and really like stacking them with the KOT as well.

My KOT has the 4 jack mod, so I could go KOT OD side > TS > KOT Clean Boost Side...that might be the best of both worlds.

Bopcat

Platinum Supporting Member
I like the AM Silver Mod OD-9 into a Rat clone (ARC Soothsayer).
The Beano Boost into the KOT worked really well for both clean & OD.

Ivo

SD 805 first in the chain. Running the volume at 3 with gain off and EQ flat. Gives clarity to and tightens whatever it hits. Lately, I've been running it into a Skreddy LM with excellent results.

NHBluesMan

like many others have said, i typically run my TS style pedals before my other drives if i'm using it as a boost. General rule of thumb is whatever pedal you want having the most effect on your tone should go last, but sometimes some really cool tones can be found from messing with your signal chain

Slideman

I always found that running a TS style OD set for boost/very low gain into a BD-2 set for medium gain yielded a great lead guitar tone. BD-2 serves as main rhythm OD, TS as the boost.

lostpoet2

Silver Supporting Member
I also have a Beano and a 183 Sunface, and really like stacking them with the KOT as well.

My KOT has the 4 jack mod, so I could go KOT OD side > TS > KOT Clean Boost Side...that might be the best of both worlds.
For how you use the KOT, this is probably the way to go. You could still have the Beano or Sunface in front of everything.

Lele

Maybe I'm using my ODs in a different way, but generally I prefer something like a TS after other OD pedals.
I mainly use the Boss OD-3 that is rather transparent, and the Xotic BB Preamp (a kind of TS with an additional gain stage, and active treble/bass controls).
After some tests, I prefer the OD-3 into the BB Preamp... so my current rule is first od is the more transparent one (so that I can use its full characteristics) and then I put the more "selective" ones (for example TS types OD that cut a lot of frequencies). My belief is that if I use a selective OD as first pedal, than the next transparent one will not have enough "material" to express its character. But at the end of the day what is good for you is always the right solution!

broken_sound

Silver Supporting Member
Using my Cusack Screamer V2 (TS Clone) as a solo boost post my Analogman Prince of Tone (KOT Red Side-ish) works extremely well. I wouldn't use the two together for a rhythm tone, separately all day long, but together they make a GREAT stack.

So my answer is KOT -> TS

thekeefus

Silver Supporting Member
Tube Screamer > DOD 250 > Timmy is my setup. I thing TS's sound great into almost anything and almost anything sound great into a Tim/Timmy.

dacula789

Silver Supporting Member
Keeley Time Machine into Mini Tube Screamer provides a lot of variety and spectacular tones.

jkg

Gold Supporting Member
I have both pedals and with my rig the tube screamer last did not work as it just did not have enough volume boost for me. The KOT yellow not only has more volume, I found it to be a far superior boost overall with either a clean or stacked dirty signal. I also swapped out my TS9 silver for a Timmy. That is what has been working for me.

Kev O)))

I'm running a pair of DOD250s into each other with great results.

The first one is higher gain (Bolume & Gain around 3) into a lower gain one set with Volume @ 2 and Gain @ 10.

Abram4235

Running a an Analogman Silver Modded Tube Screamer with a King of Tone. Been experimenting with the TS before and after the KOT and not sure what's the best order yet. Wondering what others are doing?

The TS is set with the gain at about 9-11 o'clock and the volume between 1 and 3 o'clock. Using it more of a "clean boost" with just a bit of grit, and mainly for the midrange bump that it gives for cutting through on leads, and the sustain compression.

The KOT is used more for composed parts that fit in the arrangement better. Red side is set to a light OD and the Yellow to light Clean boost, just to get a little extra grit, character and volume for certain parts. I tend to only use the Red OD side when also using the yellow side (OD>Clean Boost), and that sound works great for lead lines or parts that need to sing, but not cut through in the same way a TS does. For instance, both sides of the KOT are great for slide playing or call and response style riffs in an arrangement for example.

Since the TS is set relatively low gain, there are moment during solos when I would like to take it over the top, and push the tubes a bit harder than the TS does on it's own. The TS seems to stack better with the Yellow Clean side rather than the Red OD side, though I could see a use for both. All 3 on at the same time is a bit too much and too noisy.

Currently deciding if I should run the TS into the KOT or the other way around. Thought I'd ask what others prefer whether stacking a TS with a KOT or another OD/Clean Boost. Anyone prefer running 2 Tube Screamers stacked instead of a TS and a Clean Boost?
I like running my ts into a keeley bd2. And also goosing that with a timmy that is also boosted by a katana sometimes. Works well for me.

Trending Topics