Tube Screamer with more adjustable EQ

Silent Sound

Thanks all, This was exactly what I wanted. It would be nice to have a TS9 or 808 but then it would be nice if with a switch or pot it could be something more even. FWIW, I have a couple JRC 4558D chips in the bin (courtesy of a defunct clock radio) if surgery is required. sh
You're concerned about accuracy of the Tubescreamer enough to swap out 4558D chips, but don't want the EQ?

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
King Tone Soloist
I was going to say the right side of the Duellist. It's like all the great parts of a Tubescreamer that also allows you to easily dial out all of the bad parts of a Tubescreamer that you don't like. Really great pedals.

Atrocity7399

Yeah the first pedal that came to mind for this for me was the SD 805. That EQ on there works wonders and it's a great sounding OD overall. Nice to see people seem to agree with me on this, it's weird how the Duncan pedals just get so overlooked/dismissed so quickly.
Nice to see that Classic Overdrive from Big Tone Music Brewery get a mention too.
I feel like that's another one that doesn't get mentioned as much as I would expect.

InTheDoghouse

The Ibanez ST-9 has a mid control.
They are quite rare and expensive though. I think they were only made for the European market around 1984, which is when I got mine, and still have it.
Great pedal if you can find one.

kimos55

Follow your dreams turst your heart
Gold Supporting Member
I have always liked the Lovepedal Kalamazoo It has 2 glass and tone adjustments

Luthierwnc

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks again. Hard to come up with one.

When you think about it, and this could be a sticky here on TGP, I really ought to order the top five contenders and audition them at the same time. With different amps and guitars that could take a while. Hang onto the packing boxes. Stick the ones you won't use back in and sell them the same way you bought them. With the turnaround it might double the cost of the keeper but then you don't wonder; 'what if ...?' sh

Luthierwnc

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks NorCal Val, That is the format I thought was interesting but the Rockaway is Klon-based. The Melody is more-or-less BluesBreaker based. I've got several Klones and I think the Timmy is BB-ish. Got some Xotic boosts too.

I've also got a problem in that Malwarebytes virus-blocker absolutely refuses to load the J Rockett site. It will not let me get around the block. J Rockett didn't know why but I can't see their information directly. I may get the Melody anyway but for this GAS I want at least one iteration to be a TS9 or 808 bloodline.

A few years ago I would have just made one but I don't have that kind of time now. My shop is set-up to etch plates for relatively simple PC boards.

Cheers, sh

Alejandro

The Ibanez ST-9 has a mid control.
They are quite rare and expensive though. I think they were only made for the European market around 1984, which is when I got mine, and still have it.
Great pedal if you can find one.
I still have the STL-9, dual JRC4558D Chips.
Is a ST-9 but with the midrange boost stage coming after the clipping stage instead of in front of it, like the ST-9

Fantastic pedal, Ibanez released as Master Series in 1985

17ce81032e7c156a5d5b0b9eebc2bedb.jpg

Maguchi

Hi All. I've been feeling more stratty lately and considering getting (regetting) a Tube Screamer or variant. With all the pedals out there today, I wondered if anyone has that flavor with more mid-adjustments to tame the mid-hump when it isn't needed -- something like the J. Rockett style Melody style EQ. Even just a separate mid-control that has some authority. I've got assorted Klones, BluesBreakers, a Timmy and several others but nothing quite nails the strat/blackface thang.

Thanks for your comments, Skip
Surprised nobody has suggested the Boss SD-1 yet. Has the Tube Screamer sound in spades but without the excess midrange. Mine's modified by Analogman, but they sound great out of the box.

Boss SD-1.jpg

Lots of good suggestions.

If I may add a curveball one...

How about using an EQ pedal as an OD instead?

It obviously won't be the same as an actual Tube Screamer but you can get very similar results if your EQ pedal is flexible enough. As a bonus, you can also unlock thousands of sounds that a Tube Screamer can't produce. All you need is your ears plus some patience.
Yeah the Boss GE-7 sounds very good when used as an OD. Set the the EQ faders for your best tone, then crank up the level slider on the far right for boost.

BossGE7.jpg

Luthierwnc

Silver Supporting Member
OK -- Money is mostly spent. I ordered a Keeley Red Dirt Germanium and a Way Huge Green Rhino MK5 last night. I'll also get a small EQ pedal after more time researching. Thanks for all your input and good luck with your own gear. sh

Hi All. I've been feeling more stratty lately and considering getting (regetting) a Tube Screamer or variant. With all the pedals out there today, I wondered if anyone has that flavor with more mid-adjustments to tame the mid-hump when it isn't needed -- something like the J. Rockett style Melody style EQ. Even just a separate mid-control that has some authority. I've got assorted Klones, BluesBreakers, a Timmy and several others but nothing quite nails the strat/blackface thang.

For maximum flexibility, you need a Dr Scientist Elements. Will do TS/OD9 tones and so much more. There's simply nothing like this out there, highly recommended! Here's mine, hope it inspires:beer

Squatch57

MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe — basically a TS (with a socketed IC) with overall tone, brightness, mids and bass controls, plus gain and volume. The instructions show you how to set it for TS sounds, so you have a starting point. Mine’s never left my board.
Ditto on the Blue Boy Deluxe, it's been my main TS for 10 years
I have a small one for small gigs and a big one for all my arena gigs heh

6US7gqo.jpg

SD 805 or Forza. I have the Forza and it has stuck around longer than the couple dozen other ODs I've owned over the past few years.

Top Bottom