Tube Screamer

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tacoma5050, Oct 12, 2006.

1. tacoma5050

tacoma5050 Member

OK, go easy on me, I know this is old territory for most of you here, but I need some suggestions on my 1st TS. I have never owned an OD pedal :eek: , as I have always plugged my Gibson LesPaul directly into a 2 channel master vol tube amp. Well, I figured a TS is a good classic OD to start with as a reference point for my first OD pedal.

There are a ton of TS clones and TS mods(improving tone, op amps, etc) out there. So I’d like to get some recommendations on TSers (clones or mod’ed ones) you guys like. I’d prefer a TS with true-bypass, but it’s not a hard requirement.

Thanks……..

2. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I like the plain old TS808 reissue...Maxon's version has true bypass. Build Your Own Clone has one for $75 if you know how to solder.

I'm not that fancy when it comes to low-gain OD's. :AOK

3. yeahyeahyeah

yeahyeahyeah Supporting Member

check the 'bay for clones. some guys sell them for like $80 and offer popular mods.

i'd stay away from anything mass produced...like the Ibanez reissues are stupid expensive and are built with the absolute cheapest stuff, probably in sweatshops overseas.

4. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Without any hesitation, I would recommend the MJM Blues Devil if you want a TS clone. It is the best sounding 808 type pedal out there, IMO. I personally have one but it is not on my board. I use the BJF Little Green Wonder because I like the fuller bass and wider range of tonal options, but I won't be selling my Blues Devil because it is the most classic TS pedal I've heard. With a BF amp, it kills. And, it is true bypass.

5. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

Yeah I'll second the Maxon recomendation. Being a Les Paul player myself, I originally had the Maxon TS-808. I had a great time with it. I recently sold it when I aquired an OD-820. I prefer the 820 because it seems to have a more balanced tone to my ears.

Barber pedals are also really good. The LTD and Direct Drive are great OD's. I have a Direct Drive, and it is especially great for gain needs beyond my OD-820.

6. afterburner

afterburner Supporting Member

MI Audio Blues Pro. Great tone at a price that won't break the bank. Voiced really nicely with enough midrange growl and more gain available than a standard TS. True bypass as well.

7. retro

retro Member

Just a thought...what's your rig?

8. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

"Authentic" Tube Screamer: Maxon OD-9, has all the "right" components and it's TB. Sounds MUCH better then the Ibanez models.

MI Audio Blues Pro: Has more gain and low-end than a normal TS and it sounds great.

MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe: TS type pedal with more gain and tonal flexibility, my favorite take on a TS type pedal.

Cheers,

CJ

9. tacoma5050

tacoma5050 Member

Peavey Classic 30
    All tube Amp: Four EL84s and three 12AX7s
    Has a clean channel and OD channel

2005 Gibson LesPaul Studio w/standard Factory PickUps

10. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

You could try the Arion MTE-1 Tubualtor it is on sale at musiciansfriend for 10 bucks! It is a tube screamer clone despite the fact they label it a distortion pedal. I got one and i love it I tried some other tube screamer clones and i liked this jsut as well or better than some, It has less mid hump than a TS but it is quite creamy and works well for boosting solos, I use it in combination with another distortion pedal and the overdrive channel on my amp.

Only complaints are that it is plastic and the pots are not as robust as other pedals but it is 10 bucks might be worth a shot if you want to try one to see if it is for you. and when you dont want it anymore or want to upgrade you are only out 10 bucks.

11. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Check out the awesome TC Jauernig Diabolical Gristle Tone Manipulator. Is one of the more transparent TS clones I've ever had the pleasure of playing (and owning), and has a toggle switch to choose between more compressed or more open and raw sounding OD. Very responsive, about the size of a boss pedal (tiny bit bigger), and true bypass. And it looks so ghetto :AOK

Only costs 139 bucks as well!

[​IMG]

12. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

I got a TS9DX and have found that having the extra Mode options is really great.

I eventually will get it Analogman modded, or maybe Keeley (though the TB mod is butt-ugly) into 808 specs or Silver Mod, because I find the TS9 mode to be a bit brittle.

But if you get the right one it might even be made by Maxon as mine is . . . just check inside the battery cover, if it is made by Maxon then it will say so.

13. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Fulltone FDII. Excellent TS tones and much more. Check out the clips on Fulltone's website. I love mine (blue version with mini toggle).

14. Aruntang

Aruntang Member

Another vote for the MJM Blues Devil. The best tube screamer I have ever played and I have owned quite a few modded tube screamers; the MJM kicked them all of my board.

15. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Love my CMATMODS Tubeslammer

16. tacoma5050

tacoma5050 Member

Is the Fulltone FDII based on the TS circuit and op amp?

17. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

I'll vouch for the MJM stuff. I have a Blues Devil, as well as a modded TS9/808, and a Bad Monkey. The Monkey is a damned good pedal as well.

CT.

18. el34power

el34power Member

The monkey is a great unit. I really like the Barber DD or MI blues pro.

19. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I don't know about op amps or anything like that. All I know is it sounds sweet and is very versatile.

20. tacoma5050

tacoma5050 Member

Is the TIM considered a TS?