Tube Screamers too compressed/muddy

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Siciliancameleon, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Siciliancameleon

Siciliancameleon Member

Alright, so tube screamers are every where. Generally, whenever I go to a music store and check out their selection of overdrives, its all tube screamer clones.

Currently, Im using a Fulldrive 2 Mosfet and have been faithfully for the last few years; however, I recently moved form a hot rod deluxe to a vintage super reverb and now my base tone is great, but whenever i step on the fulldrive its just not the same.

Yesterday I went to a local shop and played though their vast selection of tubescreamer clones and came out with a mad professor little green wonder, which is supposed to be the anti-tubescreamer tubescreamer. Still, even with the body dialed all the way up, its just too compressed and muddy for my taste. I want something that actually keeps my tone the same, but just makes it dirtier.

Anyone else feeling this way/tips/pedals that play nicely with a tele and super reverb?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  2. Class5

Class5 Member

Tim/Timmy perhaps? Although some don't like them in a Fender rig, I think they sound great.

3. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

:agree BECAUSE, in general Fender amp's are not middy, The Timmy with it's great EQ can add the much needed midz.

4. Siciliancameleon

Siciliancameleon Member

I've thought about going the tim/timmy route after seeing so many on tgp boards.

I have a lm308 rat right now that I actually really like, is the timmy a good pair with this?

Ive also heard stuff on other forums about the Fairfield barbershop OD, anyone have experience with one of these?

5. vintage66

vintage66 Member

The mosfet Fulldrive is anything but muddy. It might be too compressed for you but muddy? I sold one quickly because it was too bright. KoT's sound great with Tele's, but I hesitate to recommend it since it's not as bright as the mosfet. If you have access to trying one though you might like it.

6. Siciliancameleon

Siciliancameleon Member

you're right, its perfectly bright, but if you play a chord, all the notes smear together. I used to really like this sound in my old band, but now i want something a little bit more clear. The King of Tone is a bluesbreaker clone right?

7. vintage66

vintage66 Member

It's two tweaked bluesbreakers in one pedal-most use one as a boost and one as an od/distortion. The stack very well together-he is coming out with a single version of it though.

8. HitTheCity

HitTheCity Member

Forgot the :hide !

9. Siciliancameleon

Siciliancameleon Member

How does a bluesbreaker compare to the fulldrive? I've never heard one in person

10. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I haven't played a bluesbreaker, just the KoT. I'm not good at describing sounds-especially since I don't have the mosfet Fulldrive anymore. I think the KoT is clearer sounding than a tubescreamer-less of that blanket sound, but the mosfet didn't have that blanket sound so I'd actually say it's not as bright or thin sounding as the mosfet, but it's not muddy either-maybe rounder sounding. I don't notice any string clarity problems with it either.

11. steve440

steve440 Member

If you want less compression try one without diodes in the clipping section, led's compress less or no led's/diodes at all may be closer to what you are after. Easy mod if you have soldering iron and 5 minutes. Or install an on/off/on toggle to go from diode-nothing-led. 1 resistor change will lower the drive which to my ear makes them sound much more natural.

Hope this helps

Steve

12. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I'm not sure what Steve just said :huh, but it reminded me, have you tried it in comp-cut mode? That's how I use my non-mosfet most of the time. I don't remember if the mosfet's comp-cut had the same effect but it does add a lot of clarity to mine. Maybe it's not as dramatic on that version though.

A cheaper pedal to try is a Rocktron Austin Gold-don't laugh. It doesn't have a ton of gain but it does add a nice clarity and drive to my somewhat dark Les Paul.

13. Siciliancameleon

Siciliancameleon Member

Im not terribly handy with a soldering iron, althoughj I can do basic fixes/mods.

I have tried the comp-cut mode, but couldnt get the gain high enough or the boost low enough....maybe I need to mess around with it more. Overall, it seems the fulldrive might just not be the right pedal for me. I would love to try out a king of tone, did analogman say when hes putting out the single version?

14. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I have always had that issue with Tubescreamers till I got my ts808hw. Almost sold it for another flavor, again. Sounded clear and articulate a rehearsals with my new band. That said, the Chicken Soup has my interest.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  15. Dave

Dave Member

Another vote for the Tim/Timmy.

I was thinking a Rat would be a good choice too. You say you have a Rat and you like it, why not just use that?

16. melven62

melven62 Member

Try LGW with body at around 9-10 oclock. Seemed to be my favorite setti g

17. I-IV-V

I-IV-V Member

I don't want to sound corksniffer-ish, but I'm wondering if a Klone would work good for you.

18. Dillow4092

Dillow4092 Member

I've come to the conclusion that a T.S. based pedal is not for me. I've tried a few, even had the handwired TS 808. I hated it after three days. Muddy, yes but that's just my opinion. I prefer a pedal that has a more "open" sound, and reacts well with my amp.

19. Guitarbrett

Guitarbrett Supporting Member

I think an important distinction is whether you are talking "live" or "bedroom" volumes. IMO, tube screamers and the FD2 are perfect live (FD2 is one of the best pedals on my dirt packed board in that situation), but less than thrilling at low volumes.

20. Bufferz

Bufferz Member

have you tried the boss bd-2? Its very bright, wolly, and dynamic even at lower volumes.