Tube Sockets - Suggestions Please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by micstew, Feb 19, 2012.

1. micstew

micstew Member

Bought some Belton replacement tube sockets from the Tube Depot a few weeks ago to fix some static issues in my 1996 Blues Deluxe (I could induce the exact static sound by very slightly wiggling the power tubes in the sockets so I'm pretty sure that was the culprit - and yes cleaning helped but never completely resolved the issue). Problem is the mounting brackets on the replacement sockets are not quite aligned with the pins. No kidding. Apparently some super quality control over there at the Belton factory...:bonk

Anyway, back to square one, so if anyone has suggestions on replacement power tube sockets, please lemme know. Price is not a concern (within reason) here - I'd much rather spend more and get a better product in this case.

Photo: Belton 8 Pin Octal PC Mount Socket - 20.5mm Pins
    [​IMG]

2. wi3465

wi3465 Guitar Slut Gold Supporting Member

Google: amp maintenance. Do not recall the site, but someone on line was using a jewelers screwdrive inside the tube socket for the individual pins to tighten up the retainers. Please post what you find and good luck! Bill

3. micstew

micstew Member

Yep, tried that. BillM recommends it. Didn't work in this case. Original sockets now already removed. Alternate replacement suggestions needed.

4. 3th3r

3th3r Member

The original socket or bracket was likely not Belton. Have you tried different brand sockets?
    Or what about redrilling/enlarging the holes in the bracket?

5. micstew

micstew Member

Originals were not Beltons. This is not a problem of brand, it is an issue of sloppy alignment of the two parts of the Belton replacement sockets. I will of course alter the mounting holes of the Beltons if it comes to it, but sheesh, it really should not.

6. micstew

micstew Member

< Question deleted >

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012