Tube substitution question

speedtaco

Hey everyone, I wanted to reach out and ask for a little advice. I pulled some old tubes out of a broken console record player the other day and wanted to know if I could substitute any of them for the tubes in my amplifiers. I have a 1969 Vibro champ, a 1973 twin reverb, a 1965 Vibrolux reverb, and a 1966 super reverb. Here is a list of the tubes that I pulled out:
6AV6

12 AT7

EZ 80

6AU6 -2 pcs

6BA6

6BE6

12 a X7 -2 pcs.

EL 84 -2 pcs.

6AB4

I apologize if this is a loaded question, but I’d like to use the tubes! Any advice is appreciated .

Do your Fender amps still have the tube charts inside the cabinets? IF so, there are your tube compliments and layout. The 12AT7 and the 12AX7's are used in your Fender amps. Nothing else there is good for the amps you have. The EL-84's have use in some guitar amps, and something makes me want to say I have seen a 6Au6 tube in perhaps a Gibson amp???

speedtaco

Thanks Wolfe, I knew about the 12AX7's. I was just wondering if any of the others were 'close' enough to substitute for others.

muchXS

Grab the speaker(s) and the amp if they're still available.

Those tubes were meant to work with the transformers in the console. Seems to me you might have enough junk to start an "18 watt" project.

HotBluePlates

... wanted to know if I could substitute any of them for the tubes in my amplifiers. I have a 1969 Vibro champ, a 1973 twin reverb, a 1965 Vibrolux reverb, and a 1966 super reverb. Here is a list of the tubes that I pulled out:
6BA6

6BE6
6AB4 ...

The 3 types above will be zero use to you in any guitar amp, much less your Fender amps.

The 6AV6 could be used by someone with a tweed Harvard (or by me) in place of the 6AT6 for more gain. Other than that, it's a 7-pin oddball that is rarely if ever used in guitar amps. The tube is like half of a 12AX7 with a couple diodes.

The EZ80 is a rectifier. You'd think maybe one could sub it for the EZ81 found in British 4-18w amps, but it doesn't have as high a capability. Probably useless to you unless you have a tube radio that needs one.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom