Tube swapping in a Silvertone 1482

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by cfpaul, Jan 24, 2012.

1. cfpaul

cfpaul Member

So i'm looking into giving myself a little more headroom in a Silvertone 1482. Can I safely swap out the two 6V6's for 6L6's? I'm sure I'd have to have the amp rebiased at the very least, right?

Thanks!

2. Tele Wacker

Tele Wacker Member

I wouldn't do that. The 1482 is a wonderful amp and if you do something like that, it ain't a 1482 any longer IMHO. Get yourself a bigger amp.

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Silvertone amps aren't known for their hefty, overspec'd, transformers. There's no way in hell I'd try that if I liked the amp at all.

4. zenas

zenas Member

The 6L6 draws more heater current and the impedance will be off. What kind of 6v6s are you running now? JJ 6v6s are spose to have more headroom.
    Also what speaker you running ? A new speaker might do the trick.

5. cfpaul

cfpaul Member

Thanks for all your advice. I was just knocking around ideas. They're the original 6V6's now (they sound awesome, I just don't want to wear them out the more I gig). It's got a Jensen C12Q in there too.

The only reason I was thinking about dropping something in for more headroom was because I might switch out all the tubes to preserve them, so why not explore my options.

What do you think? I'm going to be gigging with it fairly consistently, so should I swap out all the originals for something comparable or just play them while I've got 'em?

Thanks again for your input guys, it's greatly appreciated.

6. TheWayfarer84

TheWayfarer84 Supporting Member

I put Tung-Sol's in mine and it sounds insanely good. They're not going to give you any headroom, but they will give you some very warm cleans and then all out fuzzy growl when pushed. This amp is amazing- but a clean machine, it is not. You could see what JJ's do in the amp. They're sort of 6v6/6ll hybrids. If you're confident with a soldering iron and a schematic, you can mod the mic channel into basically a Fender tweed circuit. This will brighten up and clean up the mic channel. Then you can jumper it with the Instrument input to fatten it up when needed. Also replacing the stock alnico speaker with something higher rated will help. I have bottom line Weber in mine and it really helps. I bought a 1483 to replace my 1482, but I'm having doubts the more I talk about the 1482...

You could always look for a 1483 if you want a little more headroom or a 1484 if you want even more. Still neither is what I'd call "fender" clean. They always seem to have some hair. Even though the 1483 is around 30W, it is not that much louder overall than the 1482. Then again, I'm comparing a totally tuned up and re-caped 1482 to a bone stock 1483, so that might have something to do with it. You can dial it back by putting in 6V6's, but you will need a 16ohm (vs 8 stock) speaker to make up for the mismatched impedance. I tried just swapping 6v6 tubes with the stock speaker and it became very flat and uninspiring.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  7. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

I'm looking at a 1483 schematic. The 'hair' may be from the lack of negative feedback. The schematic also shows a choke across the loudspeaker, which seems quite odd to me (perhaps it's there to flatten the impedance of the load at high frequencies?). I might see what happens with that removed? Also note that there's no cathode bypass caps in the two pre-PI stages - might be an easy place to get some gain?

8. michael stuart 57

michael stuart 57 Member

9. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    If the 6V6s are old/weak, just putting in new 6V6s will give you more headroom.

10. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

The 1483 was a bass amp - hence the choke across the speaker to prevent it from flubbing out.

Probably the easiest way to get more headroom from a 1482 is to run it into a 2x12 extension cab loaded with high sensitivity speakers.

I'd agree that the stock PT will not handle 6L6GCs for very long.

A slightly more involved option is to revoice one of the channels - add a bypass cap to the input triode's cathode and reduce the plate resistor to something in the 150k - 220k range as well. The stock 330k plate resistors sit very low on the static anode graph, and things get very unpredictable down there, if you add the bypass cap best to raise your load line above this region.

A 100k grid stopper on the PI can also be beneficial.

The trade off is that you lose a bit of that lo-fi Silvertone mojo in the process...

11. KindaFuzzy

KindaFuzzy Member

this and some nice new tubes should do the trick. Get some cool running tubes and it should max out your headroom, just ask for '
    "late breakup" (distort less easily)' tubes from somewhere like the tube store.