Tube Tape Echo Question(s)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by CALI68, Jan 25, 2008.

1. CALI68

CALI68 Member

Although I love the amazing tone these devices produce, I know very very little about how they work. I never bothered to investigate Echo Plexes I just used to use analog delay pedals. I would really love to learn about them and then eventually buy one.

How often do you need to change the cartridge? What happens if in the middle of a gig it runs out of tape? Can you re-use the tape. Should you use it relatively conservatively to save tape? What if I wanted to use it as an "all the time on" slap back reverb sort of effect? Can it be used in an effect loop?

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

2. CALI68

CALI68 Member

Anyone?

-Chris

3. 59 Deluxe

59 Deluxe Member

it's not going to "run out" of tape. the tape is continuously looping. i believe fulltone says you have to change the tape every few months cut i am sure that would depend on how often the unit is used. cleaning the capstans and demagnetizing the heads is also necessary. i believe you can download the owners manual for the TTE form the fulltone website.

i would highly recommend checking one out. i think you will really like it for all sorts of echo tones.

4. CALI68

CALI68 Member

Thanks for the info!

I'm still curious if they will work in a loop or not.

-Chris

5. Budokahn

Budokahn Member

I use my TTE in front of the amp. it give its own boost which just adds a nice touch to any amp I have put it in front of. I have run it in the loop of my MAZ18 just for kicks for a bit and it seemed to work fine. Sounded good, but I prefer it in front.