Tube Tape Echo - tape question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SarasotaSlim, Feb 1, 2016.

1. SarasotaSlim

SarasotaSlim Member

Question to those who actually own the Fulltone TTE: What side of the tape touches the tapes heads? Shiney side or coated side??

2. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

I've owned other tape echos and many reel to reels but not the TTE.
    The coated (dull) side goes against the tape head. It's coated with oxide.
    If you were to use the shiny side it will sound much quieter because it's getting less signal.

3. SarasotaSlim

SarasotaSlim Member

That's the way I remember it too back when I had an old Echoplex.
    However, I bought this Fulltone TTE new a few years ago and have several tapes that either came with it or were sold to me from Fulltone after sending it to them for various fixes and every one of the tapes has the shiney side running against the tape heads! I'm looking for actual owners of this machine to respond because this is a puzzlement.

4. Plexihead

Plexihead Member

The way the tape comes out of the right side of the cartridge naturally is how it's placed through the tape path.

5. windjamma

windjamma Member

shiny side against tape heads, oxide on the back is for lubrication through the cart.

6. SarasotaSlim

SarasotaSlim Member

Question - do you own this device and use it or are you just making a statement? I'm looking for people who own them and use them with factory tapes.

7. SarasotaSlim

SarasotaSlim Member

Sorry the tape path on these is different - they travel clockwise entering the right side and exit from the inside towards the left side. However the issue I'm asking about is which tape surface touches the heads - dull or shiney?

8. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

Actually, it depends on the type of tape. There are certain kinds of tape where the dull side is the magnetic side. I've sat there winding a tape for one of my Echoplexes and didn't realize until I tried to play it that I'd wound it backwards because the coating was dull.

But, for a stock TTE, I believe the tape used has the lighter colored side touching the heads.

9. deadlands

deadlands Member

Disclosure: I do not own an TTE or SSTE. But I did have an SSTE at my house for awhile helping my friend with the initial tape cart issues. The darker shiny side goes AWAY from the heads, the lighter colored matte side goes against the heads. You can google pictures to look at how other units have the tape mounted and they are all the same way.

EDIT: nevermind, they seem to be different.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  10. Plexihead

Plexihead Member

In my experience of previously owning a TTE, the lighter colored side goes against the heads. I always did it that way and it worked perfectly ever time.

11. windjamma

windjamma Member

yes i own a tte and use the fulltone tapes.

12. maxVsf

maxVsf Member

According to a picture sent me by Fulltone tech, you would have the shiny side contacting the heads.

13. SarasotaSlim

SarasotaSlim Member

Thank you. It's just odd because the old echoplex did it the opposite with dull coated side touching just like the old stereo reel to reels and all the tape recording devices I've ever seen. I'd love to hear his reason for designing it that way. Your first response seems logical although I don't really think it would make that much difference but maybe it helps reduce head ware by using the shiney side?
    Whatever - now I gotta get motivated to fight with this thing again - I hate having to send it to them to make it work.