Tube Tape Echo's effect as an Overdrive Stack?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by shawntp, Oct 7, 2008.

1. shawntp

shawntp Member

I have a question - I am sort of interested in trying the TTE out for its lush warm echo/delay sounds but in all the clips I hear online I notice people use the guitar volume to get these nice overdriven sounds out of the TTE also.

I am currently running a pretty bare bones board (just a single Klon) and it rocks for most everything I need and I am thinking of trying a Klon > TTE > amp.

Will I essentially get a mild overdrive stack capability with the TTE (i.e. will it give me more usable gain and delay)?

Also for those who have used it - what effect does (or can) it have on the OD chain/sound in this minimal OD > TTE application.

2. shawntp

shawntp Member

3. charmboy

charmboy Member

I use mine to push my signal a bit harder... Not too much but I run it a few clicks (2:00ish) above unity after my fuzz and it's a really great tone. Definitely an enhancement.

4. shawntp

shawntp Member

Cool - also does anyone find it blends better with one thing than another (i.e. fuzz vs OD).

I guess most around here have pretty large boards so they dont really need the TTE to thicken their gain.

I remember some user posting that their small travel gig board was a TTE and a Klon - im gonna try and find and PM them.

5. charmboy

charmboy Member

Actually, I often play with just my guitar into Teese Picture wah ->JH-F1 ->TTE->amp

and it sounds incredible. I've tried it with OD too and that works great as well, I'm just more of a fuzz guy. I hate not bringing the TTE out to gigs now because it does such nice things to my tone. Even when using my big board which has a Sunlion (sunface/beano) and zvex SHO for adding a slight boost/buffer I still like goosing the amp a bit more with the TTE. If you've got the funds for a TTE just go out and get it... trust me, you'll instantly become a better guitarist based on the fact that you'll find yourself playing so much more just because it sounds so great!

6. Jay Douglas

Jay Douglas Member

Ditto, I keep the volume above Unity (you can check it against the True Bypass via the toggle switch) and it makes up for all the cables, connectors, connections on the pedal board and that last 25' run going to the amps. Brilliant sounding.
    Sounds (and most importantly FEELS) like a 5' cable going right into the amp with nothing else plugged in, even with all those effects.