1. tropicalfishcap

tropicalfishcap Member

can anyone recomend a good tube tester? I have some old amps and found that collecting tubes is a good thing to do with these old amps. One thing led to another and now I find my new hobbie needs a tube tester so I can collect more stuff..and we all need more stuff. I saw one on ebay EMC 206. It's supposed to check for shorts, leaks, ect. Some info on what to look for would help. Thanks

2. PRNDL

PRNDL Member

3. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

4. vibroverbus

vibroverbus Member

don't pay a lot for an un-tested, 'no guarantees' tester, like the hoaxsters have listed on eBay. decent tube testers (not simple short testers) are generally complex and challenging to repair and calibrate, especially if you can't find a MAINTENANCE MANUAL (diffrent than just the ops man in some cases).

when it comes to antique test equipment, as soon as you hear:
    "shucks I don't know nuthin' 'bout these things! golly I just happened to find this in my uncle's attic, (just like the other 500 other pieces of test equipment I've sold on eBay over the last 3 years...), but this one shur looks real good and the lights light up!"

realize this really means:
    "I know exactly what the deal is, my business is buying junk at swap meets and auctions, this is a broken piece of crap that will be a pain in the ass to fix but I'm sure I can scam yet another poor guy who doesn't know any better to match the high street price of an actual working Hickok tester..."

if you're going to take a flyer on an untested unit, go to your local ham fest / radio swap meets, and watch classifieds (old ham guys and their widows don't know how to use the internet - they still buy and read things called 'newspapers'). then you'll be competing with the eBay SELLERS to pay $50 instead of $500.... I got a heavy-duty, Weston for $75 and probably could have talked him down from that. this is one of those places where the eBay prices are out of whack with the other markets. all the knowledgeable test-equipment collectors and vintage hams know this and generally avoid FleaBay junk.

there ARE guys who rebuild 'em and/or at least guarantee functionality and admit they know how to use it and have done at least cursory tests. if you're willing to pay more, then that's the route to go... but avoid phony 'I'm sure it works but don't know for sure' stories on any test equipment like the plague.

5. vibroverbus

vibroverbus Member

Oh yeah, and you can search and replace "tube tester" with "variac" in that last rant err post, works about the same (except the variacs are at least pretty hard to kill) still the prices are retarded, especially when it says "marshall plexi EVH variac brown sound" in the description...