• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

tube testing equipment

GBlekas

Hi all
For years I have testing tubes with one of those military type tube testers but I recently became aware of the Orange VT1000 tube tester.

I am wondering if anybody has any experience with it and opinions as far as accuracy of the device.

I realize its expensive but is it worth the dough or is my calibrated old tube tester a better device for testing tubes?

Thanks, in advance, for your time.

For those that haven't seen it here is a link to a youtube video on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vpnuiZoJtE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Regards,
George

Blue Strat

There have been a few reports here and/or on the Amp forum.

One thing, at least, it can do that your tester can't is match power tubes for idle current.

Trotter

Silver Supporting Member
One thing, at least, it can do that your tester can't is match power tubes for idle current.
I'm sure it depends on the circuit and other factors, but generally speaking, is there a significant difference between matching at 'idle current' and matching at 'active current'?

I have old tube testers that work well for testing, but other than a Weber Bias Rite, I don't have a way to easily match tubes.

Last edited:

Blue Strat

I'm sure it depends on the circuit and other factors, but generally speaking, is there a significant difference between matching at 'idle current' and matching at 'active current'?

I have old tube testers that work well for testing, but other than a Weber Bias Rite, I don't have a way to easily match tubes.
Most testers don't have ANY current testing/matching capabilities. The Bias Rite is better at that than most testers.

Current matching is done at idle, with specific voltage inputs, otherwise the number would be meaningless in terms of matching.

Trotter

Silver Supporting Member
Most testers don't have ANY current testing/matching capabilities. The Bias Rite is better at that than most testers.

Current matching is done at idle, with specific voltage inputs, otherwise the number would be meaningless in terms of matching.
Right, I wasn't saying that I was using my testers for matching... but I am currently using the Bias Rite for matching (although its sorta a pain).

I guess I'm just wondering if the Orange is worth while since its not really matching at what my amps active current really is.

Blue Strat

Right, I wasn't saying that I was using my testers for matching... but I am currently using the Bias Rite for matching (although its sorta a pain).

I guess I'm just wondering if the Orange is worth while since its not really matching at what my amps active current really is.
As long as it's matching at/near amp plate voltage (which I think it is) it's good enough.

Using the Bias Rite isn't any worse than using a tester (unless it's a Maxi Matcher which has 4 sockets) for matching. Set the bias and cycle the tubes through marking the idle current on each tube.

Last edited:

Billm

I would be much happier with the VT1000 and would probably buy one if it had a USB output and an application for displaying and recording the readings. Blinky lights only go so far.

Trending Topics