Tube testing service??

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by DGDGBD, Jan 14, 2008.

1. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

I have a dozen or two used old stock preamp tubes, mostly 12AX7, 12AY7 and 12AU7, that I'd like to have tested. Anyone know of any electronics stores or local techs that can provide this service? It's not to sell the tubes, I just want to weed out any duds.

2. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Just pop them in your amp, one at a time, put it on for a good 10 minutes for each tube and the ones that are noisey go in the trash.

3. HCStraub

HCStraub Member

Check your local craigslist. I know I offer the service here in MN and there is at least one other person who advertises on CL. If not, post an ad on CL looking for people with good testers(Hickok, AVO...) will to test a few tubes.

4. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Check to see if there are any antique radio shops in your area. Or old hi-fi repair shops sometimes have decent tube testers. You can also go to a local Ham-Fest, which are filled with old tube guys that can probably help you out.

5. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

Thanks, I called around and found a local electronics store with tube tester.