• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Tube Tremolo - what are my options?

mbargav

Silver Supporting Member
I recently picked up an amp (Thomas Organ tube Pathfinder) with tube trem, & I'm addicted. I don't think I can ever be satisfied with a SS pedal for trem again. What are my tube trem options? I know about the Guyatone & the Effectrode. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
Darth Fader- real tube-bias trem, just like an amp.

Guyatone FLIP trem- don't know if the tube is actually used for tremolo or not, but it's an excellent, amp-like tremolo... GregV uses the FLIP for all his tremolo needs.

The solid state pedals that by all reports sound the most like tube-bias trem are the Swamp Thang, Tremodillo, Sugar Baby, and Bluebird. The ones that sound like opto (Blackface) trem are numerous... the most popular ones are probably Demeter, Supa-Trem, and Voodoo Labs.

i thought this too, until i bought a Catalinbread Valcoder. it's a square wave trem, but with the depth down, it does a really great faux tube trem. he's not making them anymore, but i'm certain you could get there with a Catalinbread Semaphore. it's way more flexible too.

mbargav

Silver Supporting Member
i thought this too, until i bought a Catalinbread Valcoder. it's a square wave trem, but with the depth down, it does a really great faux tube trem. he's not making them anymore, but i'm certain you could get there with a Catalinbread Semaphore. it's way more flexible too.
I have both the Semaphore & the Valcoder, and while I love them both, there's just something about a real tube trem that seems impossible to replicate.

Absolutely... never used it, but have always been interested in it:

http://www.olcircuits.com/olc_darthfader.html

For $199 built and painted, with an included 12v adapter, seems like a good deal.
I tried getting the kit for this last year, but after waiting more than a month for it to ship, I just gave up and got a refund. Sort of soured me on OLC.

Thanks for all your suggestions so far!

mondo500

I don't know if the Vox CoolTron series is still produced, but there was a tremolo pedal there that seemed interesting... if I recall correctly, the circuit (the "CoolTron" bit, I guess) for these had input from Fumio Meida, who was responsible for the original Shin-ei Univibe design.

There are some new Hiwatt tube-driven pedals out, including a reverb and tremolo... I know nothing of them, but worth including in a list of options. They seem reasonably priced.

lux_interior

Can anybody please tell me what makes a bias-vary trem so special, and maybe provide an example from a clip or song?

Top Bottom