• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Tube updates from TechTubes (tm) team

Hi Doug,
It’s now been three months since our last notice and activity has been frantic and very productive but as yet the elusive solution is not quite ready for public unveiling. Despite the economic downturn our drive to launch the new TechTube™ valve technology is not diminished. We still have full management backing and are getting closer to the specification we have set ourselves.
Our target for the E813CC valve is to have every triode and consequently every valve with an Ip current within a band from 0.8mA to 1.2mA. We targeted this band after benchmarking several competitor valves. The benchmark analysis showed that current valve production has Ip ranging between 0.7mA and 1.6mA, even though the data sheet specification is 1mA! Within a valve, the triode to triode variation ranges from nothing (both triodes having the same output) to 0.5mA difference between triodes.
NOS valves perform better having Ip varying between 0.7mA and 1.3mA. Mullard NOS (Blackburn production) have excellent within valve (triode to triode) variations of less than 0.1mA against a norm of 0.25mA. Sovtek have a slightly wider triode to triode variation of 0.25mA but valve to valve they are very consistent with all the valves we tested falling between 0.95mA and 1.4mA.
Currently, our Ip ranges from 0.75mA to 1.5mA, too much variation considering our claim that we are benchmarked against the Blackburn Mullard valve. We continue to work on the factors that give this variation and are near to a resolution.
The other characteristic that we needed to improve upon according to feedback from the September show is microphony. Again we benchmarked several valves already in the field, both current production and NOS. Once again the variation seen was incredible. It’s no wonder end users complain about inconsistent performance!! Over the months the team has been working on this problem, we have come to know how valves shake, rattle and role in intimate detail. Our use of high speed cameras, differing construction techniques and numerous mechanical designs has led us in several directions. Unfortunately even though most were successful in removing microphony they created problems with other characteristics of the valve and consequently they have been scrapped. The down side of this process is that time moves on. Our knowledge base is rapidly increasing but that elusive solution that can be industrialised and automated is still to be found. We continue with numerous parallel paths and the team continues to work hard.
As a result of these factors we will not be in a position to launch the web sales to our plan of April this year. The team continues to work hard on the problems and we will keep you informed as we move through April and probably May.

From all in the TechTube™ team @ Blackburn

VanR

In other words "we don't know what we are doing here. But stay tuned we'll figure it out eventually"

Eagle1

That's hilarious.
Never in the history of marketing have I come across such a own goal .
First try to associate your self with a much loved product from the past ,in fact claim a legacy ,Then produce an unrealistic expectation in the market that you can't live up too.Then keep putting back the launch of the product because its not ready. Why is it not ready? because the people making it have no legacy of the past and seem incapable of creating one as fast as the BS department can spam this crap over the net.
A good marketing tip ;
Shut up until you have a product that we can hear.
You are just raising the bar and publicizing your incompetence to one of the most discriminating audiences your ever going to come across.
Sack the marketing man:BEER.

Mark Kane

Platinum Supporting Member
At least they're trying to bring a good product to market. Would you rather they just started shipping these things like another big tube broker has done so many times.

SgtThump

Silver Supporting Member
In other words "we don't know what we are doing here. But stay tuned we'll figure it out eventually"
I don't know anything about this company or product (haven't read anything about this before.)

But they actually sound to me more like a company that wants to "get it right" before releasing it to the company AND they're being honest about it.

So far, I'd say they get a big thumbs up from me for quality assurance.

Eagle1

I don't know anything about this company or product (haven't read anything about this before.)

But they actually sound to me more like a company that wants to "get it right" before releasing it to the company AND they're being honest about it.

So far, I'd say they get a big thumbs up from me for quality assurance.
Find the other thread it's laughable.

That's hilarious.
Never in the history of marketing have I come across such a own goal .
First try to associate your self with a much loved product from the past ,in fact claim a legacy ,Then produce an unrealistic expectation in the market that you can't live up too.Then keep putting back the launch of the product because its not ready. Why is it not ready? because the people making it have no legacy of the past and seem incapable of creating one as fast as the BS department can spam this crap over the net.
A good marketing tip ;
Shut up until you have a product that we can hear.
You are just raising the bar and publicizing your incompetence to one of the most discriminating audiences your ever going to come across.

Personally, I think it's great someone is trying to produce a quality preamp tube. Everything else out there is crap, and I'm a builder who's tired of dealing with it. I hope they don't give up on this, I have amps waiting.
:BEER

Eagle1

Personally, I think it's great someone is trying to produce a quality preamp tube. Everything else out there is crap, and I'm a builder who's tired of dealing with it. I hope they don't give up on this, I have amps waiting.
:BEER
If they can't handle a press release better than this why do you think the tubes will be any good even if they have got Mullard fairy sprinkle in them.

Mad_Scientist

Apparently they don't have a marketing man, and I hope they keep it that way. After Groove Tubes lies about USA made black plate 6L6s that ended up getting made in China, and their disappointing 12AX7 Mullad clone, I find the honesty of TechTubes refreshing. The tube market has enough manufacturers with good sales pitches but substandard products. Heres to hoping that someone will finally produce a quality product and not just hype.

Eagle1

Apparently they don't have a marketing man, and I hope they keep it that way. After Groove Tubes lies about USA made black plate 6L6s that ended up getting made in China, and their disappointing 12AX7 Mullad clone, I find the honesty of TechTubes refreshing. The tube market has enough manufacturers with good sales pitches but substandard products. Heres to hoping that someone will finally produce a quality product and not just hype.
If you find "I'm sorry I haven't a clue" refreshing ,great but all the Mullard association with not a shred of tangible legacy is pathetic.
"IF" they produce the goods I will be the fist to say so and buy them , but for now they would do better to get the product finished before the hype starts.

fizbin

It's heartening to hear an explanation, even though the original statements are now proven fluff. It is great to hear that they actually do give a damn about the stuff that matters.

fizbin

It still amazes me that with all our technology and precision automated manufacturing advances, that it takes this much effort to match what we could do better 50 years ago.

Trout

Historically speaking Techtube has nothing more than a location when it comes to building the vacuum tubes once known as Mullard.

The original company evolved into its current products like many companies had to.
Blackburn MicroTech Solutions which is Techtube is now faced with another crossroads point in electronics.

The day of the cathode ray display tube has come and gone. The demand for products that Microtech specialized in will continue to decline.
LCD computer displays/monitors are now actually as low in cost or lower in some cases to comparable CRT's.

What do you do when one of your principle product lines is going the way of the dodo bird ?
Evolve or disappear forever!

I hope they pull it off and destroy the market of the companies making the cheap knock-offs of famous brand names like Genalex, Mullard, Tung-Sol.

One thing certain, they need a PR firm :NUTS

INX

Their honesty and diligence is PUNK.

:)

I hope they nail it, hopefully they will. OS tubes are so much better..I remember trying out the EH, "Tung Sol," "Mullard," and Sovtek LPS and then putting in a real CV4024 and being like "OH MAH GAWD THAT's THE FUNKY SHITE!."

No comparison, not even the same league.

Trending Topics