Tube-vs. circuit-based dirt pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by joegrant413, Feb 3, 2008.

1. joegrant413

joegrant413 Member

Right, I'm pretty darn happy with my rig. After going the MFX/ Atomic amp route last year, I took an abrupt turn and went back to a real nice tube amp and quality analog-circuit OD and distortion pedals.

About the only GAS-candidate for me now would be different dirt pedals. I've read a lot of folks lately swearing by Damage Control and other tube-based pedals for OD and distortion. Theoretically, yeah, it appeals to me to have tubes doing the distortion work going into a clean Fender. (And when the wife's gone, crank the Fender for power tube OD, yeah:dude.)

But I'm really pretty happy with Keeley BD-2 and Keeley DS-1. So has anyone done a good comparison for themselves between some really good -- and under $400 -- tube-based OD/dist pedals, and some of the better analog pedals form the likes of Keeley, Zvex, Fulltone, Barber, Foxrox, etc.?

Cheers,
    -- Joe

2. joegrant413

joegrant413 Member

3. hamfist

hamfist Member

Hi Joe,
    Personally, I don't think there's any advantage of using a tube-based OD. I find that the good SS pedals are as good or better. They are also smaller and potentially more reliable.

4. joegrant413

joegrant413 Member

Hey hamfist,

Thanks for chiming in here, and good to hear at least one person saying tube pedals ain't necessarily the best.

-- Joe

5. georgeb4

georgeb4 Member

Butler Tube Driver is my favorite od right now.

6. joegrant413

joegrant413 Member

Thanks, bro, I hadn't been familiar with that one.

-- Joe

7. Daniel-San

Daniel-San Member

The Tube Driver is one of my favorite pedals ever.
    The Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic is very nice too.

Now I don't think tube-pedals are better in general(still love the TS), but they do have a certain sound that a lot of people seem to like.

8. march

march Member

The Blackstar pedals are really worth checking out.

I've just bought a HT-Dual and personally think it's the finest tube driven overdrive pedal I have ever tried. I also have a BK Butler Tube Driver, another pedal deserving of it's rep as one of the finest around.

www.blackstaramps.com

9. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

It seems to boil down to pre and post distortion eq in the circuit, and how many stages of gain are cascaded. I have and use both tube and transistor style OD's. I think that as the art advances we will see more similarities than differences in the two, as far as pedals are concerned. Amplifiers are another question, and I'm pretty sure I will always prefer tubes, but who knows what is coming in electronics? I recently picked up an old Roland Blues Cube that sounds pretty darn good!

10. joegrant413

joegrant413 Member

Thanks folks, for the GAS ideas so far!
    -- Joe