Tube vs Pedal: Reverb & Tremelo/Vibrato

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by brunsje, Jan 24, 2012.

1. brunsje

brunsje Member

2. mrfender

mrfender Member

I have had the Victoria Reverberato since it first came out in the late 90's. I have always been very happy with it. I use it with a Victoria Bassman.
    Since I have been happy with it I have not tried pedals that do this effect so I can't compare.
    The only downside is that it's the size of an amp head and I usually stand it up on its side next to the Bassman so I can access the amps controls and if someone is jumping up and down on stage it causes a reverb splash!

3. sublimeaudio

sublimeaudio Silver Supporting Member

The Victoria Reverberato sounds amazing, but it's very expensive and big. I considered buying one after playing through it, but realized that it was just going to be a hassle. I don't use tons of reverb, so I ended up just getting a Wet Reverb pedal, which sounds really good to me, only costs a couple hundred bucks, and fits on my pedalboard.

4. Greaser

Greaser Member

I've never played either of those, but if I had the money I would probably get the Victoria. That being said, they are big, heavy and expensive, so if any or all of those concern you there are very good pedals available. Granted the pedals won't sound as good, but there are some that sound pretty phenomenal.

My favs are:

Reverb: The Dr. Scientist RRR http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5DaxU0_DGc
    I've tried a bunch of reverb pedals, and this was the best to my ears.

Tremolo: Fulltone Supa-Trem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RZXr9rFkz8&feature=related It's just a classic.

5. brunsje

brunsje Member

Thank you very much!!!

Cheers, JohnnyB

6. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I had the Reverberato, and used it all the time for quite awhile. It really is the coolest thing, but also a luxury. It had what feels to me like the best outboard reverb I've heard. That's what kept me coming back. The trem side was less useful. For in-amp trems, the bias vary type seem to work better for me. Even better, Magnatone vibrato. Even better, the valco trem (such as in my Gretsch 6165, or in the CB valcoder.)

After a while using the Hermida reverb pedal for gigs, it became obvious that Reverberato was a luxury for me. For the record, I do miss it. Very fine reverb.
    MD

7. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

I had Michaels Reverberato, I loved it, but it was an extra piece for a 50 year old guy to move. The verb was the best I've heard, and I found the Trem amazing, totally greasy and cool, best I've heard as well. I miss it also.
    The Zoom unit sounds interesting, but theres no info on it on his page.

8. dinglehopper

dinglehopper Member

I've played the big kahuna. It sounded great. It was also really big, heavy, expensive, and does that reverb clang if you bump into it. As with many sonic devices, its niceties get buried with a band. The holy grail sounds fine to me, and my shapeshifter trem likewise (and you can tap synch it).

9. truecam123

truecam123 Supporting Member

I had a boogie amp years ago that did not come with reverb so I bought a stand alone fender spring reverb head for it. It sounded great, but ultimately I thought it was a big pain in the ass to have another big head to deal with. I love reverb, but for me I wasn't playing surf music and did not really need the depth or options that the fender unit offered. I probably will not buy another amp that does not come with reverb because I like to be able to add a little bit. However, I would never buy another big unit like that. I once played at a party with my band and we played on the back of a trailer and the vibration kept causing the reverb unit to make that horrible sound when you bump it. I swore off that system from that point on.

I would think in this day and age you could get a good pedal that would serve your needs that would sound just about as good.

I guess if you never ever move my your stuff around and you are going to do a lot of recording I might consider the stand alone. But if someday you might take your gear out to play than its a bit of pain in the ass.

10. E.Coleman

E.Coleman Member

Hey folks! I have been poking around this forum for many years, finally got around to registering today after seeing this post.

A couple of years ago I tried everything out there (including the pedals) when I was on the market for a new outboard reverb. The Reverbato is a very nice unit but the verb lacked the warmth and character I was looking for. The trem was decent and yes, the thing was kinda big and heavy.

I had pretty much given up on the trem feature and was about to pull the trigger on a ValveTrain reverb unit (another great sounding reverb that is unusually large for what it is) when I met Billy at the 2010 NAMM show. He demoed the Little Kahuna at the T.V. Jones booth and let me play around on it for a bit. I could tell right away that the unit had an edge that separates it from the other outboard verbs on the market, even with the NAMM clamor going on around me.

I went ahead and ordered A Little Kahuna a couple of weeks later and have never looked back. It has an absolutely huge verb that remains clear even when you lay into it. The trem is as sweet as any vintage amp I've ever owned. Equally important, the build quality is top notch and Billy himself provides excellent customer service after the sale. The unit weighs less than 20 pounds.

Nearly two years after the fact I can say the Little Kahuna is as important to my sound as my guitar and amp. The unit is bulletproof, it sounds fantastic and is inspiring to use.
    You can hear my Little Kahuna by checking out the music page at www.d-rays.com [​IMG]

11. daddyagogo

daddyagogo Member

I recommend the Billy Zoom Little Kahuna Reverb/Trem unit, hands down! I have owned two Fender reverb tanks, one MIM and the other vintage USA-made, and they were both fine and had rich reverb but lacking in warmth, for my taste. And no trem. I sold those and bought a Victoria Reverberato which sounded warmer but to me lacked rich reverb I wanted, and dialing up what I wanted was a pain, not to mention being the size of a small boat,

I'm not knocking any of those units, but my search ended happily when I bought a BZ Kahuna, and now its the only stand-alone reverb unit I own. I own a few vintage Valco low-watt amps and this really makes them sing. And the tremelo on these is just as perfect as the reverb. Both reverb and trem have that classic tube-rich brilliance. Controls are very sensitive but you can't go too wrong. It's even got a pull knob for instant Dick Dale-ocity. You don't have to be playing surf music to dig this, but that sure is there if you want it.

I am not familiar with a Big Kahuna described by dinglehopper above, only this one, and this one isn't big or clunky. I only came across these while searching for a Billy Zoom-made amp. Didn't find one of those, but I found this and bought one from his website. Love it. These should not be a secret - any music store that carries boutique amps should carry these. (I have already sold a reverb pedal since getting this, and will be selling a Fulltone Supra-trem, cause if I need to travel with a rig I'm taking this. It's got the sound and is too easy to use)

I have been meaning to plug this here since I got this so thanks for the opportunity and good luck with your search.

12. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

I have not tried either of these, but will look into them. I second the earlier post for the RRR reverb - although it doesn't do a good "spring" effect, if that's important to you. I strongly recommend the Monster Effects Swamp Thang for trem. It is the best for that Brown Fender trem. If you want something more modern, there are better options. I want to try the Josh Smith Rocket trem, but only out of curiosity. I love my Swamp.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  13. aflynt

aflynt Member

I have been on the search for a reverb to pair with my Showman myself. Right now I'm thinking I'll just use my old Peavey Valverb, though. I haven't tried it on a job yet, but the biggest plus in it's favor is that I already own it. :) It sounds pretty cool just messing around with it at home. The reverb sounds really nice to me and the vibrato is great. It also seems to help gain some tube saturation at controllable levels. I can dime the gain and bludgeon the front end of the Valverb with an overdrive pedal and pull down the master to get some nice preamp grid.

-Aaron

14. Hugh house

Hugh house Member

Burriss Royal Bluesman amp it also can be as a reverb and tremelo fx unit
    It foot switch for vib will power up to 9 pedals on you board from the amps power.
    Best part it sound so good. I trying to find one again used trade mine mad at myself for
    Doing it. You find used 500 to 700 range.

Hugh

15. E.Coleman

E.Coleman Member

I have a couple of Royal Bluesman amps and absolutely love them, while they are darn handy as an outboard verb/trem unit it can't really touch the Zoom. Even with two Royal Bluesman going I'll still bring the Little Kahuna.
    [​IMG]

16. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

I've had many amps with both and then many with neither of the above. For live use, there's not going to be much difference heard out front between a $1200 tube unit or a couple of decent pedasl.....So some good pedals will work perfectly, and save you $800-$1000. Now for recording, I do actually like my built in tube tremolo in my Hayseed better. I'm not a reverb person, so I'm good adding it later (if it's to fit a part).
    That's my thoughts on the matter.

17. lchender

lchender Supporting Member

For that kind of dough, you could also probably pick up a vintage Fender Reverb Unit. They sound very nice and the 6K6 tubes are relatively inexpensive and not hard to find. Just another idea....

18. guitarcapo

guitarcapo Senior Member

Wow...for the price of that Victoria you could buy a whole mint condition vintage Magnatone 280 amp...the best vibrato known to mankind.

19. BillyZoom

BillyZoom Member

For the record: Little Kahuna Dimensions,
    18 1/4"W x 5 1/4"H x 9 1/2"D
    weight: 13 1/2 lbs.

20. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

hey Billy Zoom, any clips of your unit?