Tube Warmup.....How long?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RMstrat, Mar 19, 2008.

1. RMstrat

RMstrat Member

I just bought my first all tube amp and was wondering how long I should let it warm before I flip the standby on and begin to grind? How long do you wait? Do I even have to wait? Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Mantis

Mantis Member

Give it about 60 seconds. While you wait make sure your guitar is in tune. I usually chug a beer too, then power it up. :)

3. cram

cram Member

yup - 3/4 beer.
    atleast...
    Make it one to be sure.

4. MartinC

MartinC Member

5. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Be sure to really evaluate the amps tone after it has been on for some 20 minutes. Once all the components are at operating temperature, that amp should really open up.

6. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

A minute or 2 is fine for warm up.

7. Kitarist

Kitarist Member

yea 20min is a proper time to really warm up the whole amp

you also have to warm up the girls to go to bed with you hehe

8. gregory49

gregory49 Member

you can use it right away and it won't hurt.. for example 40 50 seconds whatever. But to get the amp sounding the best give it 10 -15 minutes... don't be so paranoid about tube amps i know i was when i got my first one. just always make sure theres a speaker plugged in when its on.

9. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

A guy I gigged with never warmed his JCM800 up. He just turnes the power on and when a big thump occurs he's ready to play. He's also the kind of fellow that uses guitar chords between his cab and 4x12.:messedup

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I like to wait around 5 minutes (not always...I get antsy sometimes and probably as short as 30 seconds, very rarely), at home, band practice, or at a gig I tend to bring in the amp first, plug it in...and depending if it has not been out in severe cold (where you have to wait longer before turning it on) I set it up, plug it in, turn on the mains power, and go out get guitar, pedalboard, etc. set things up, get it all ready, maybe even take a break, and then turn standby off.

It usuall works out to 5-10 minutes. I think there are two aspects of the standby, one being letting voltages get up to operating before applying any input, that only takes a few seconds I am sure, 10 seconds on the safe side which is overkill...but ALSO right or wrong, I like to let the tubes warm up gradually as possible, so the 5-10 minutes, then the preamp...

Others here mention (though I have no idea if this is ears also, fatigue, etc.) after 20 minutes of playing the tubes really start sounding their best. Not sure I have experienced that.

11. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Technically speaking, for the low power tubes typically used in guitar amps, no warm up time is really needed. Many guitar amps don't even have standby switches. Warm up is only required with higher power tubes used in transmitters and the like to prevent cathode stripping...which doesn't happen with our relatively lower voltage guitar amps.

12. ducmike

ducmike Silver Supporting Member

I have found that a few of my amps just sound better after 10-20 minutes, Dr Z Rt66, MB Mark IV, Dabeck. I don't wait that long before I start playing, but they do sound better after that much time. It's like they sound a little off or dead, and then suddenly come alive. I think that is where a lot of the complaints come from on Boogies not sounding the same from day to day. You get it dialed in while it is hot, and don't wait for it to get hot before you start tweaking everything the next day. I know I have done that until I figured this out. I have also had amps that warm up seems to have no effect.