Tube wear in a Kingsley ...

howdycb

I have had a Harlot for 6 months and love this pedal. I recently replaced the 12ax7 and could hear a difference for the better. This got me thinking about tube wear and tear. The pedal suffers more accelerations than an amp would due to its low mass, so the tube would undergo these as well.

What is your opinion on tube life in a Kingsley (or any other hi-V pedal)?

Thanks

blackba

Silver Supporting Member
Preamp tubes typically last a really long time. Had my jester for a few years and the harlot of a year and haven't even considered replacing the preamp tube.

DaveKS

Replaced it with a what? Same Brand?

Logically a preamp tube in a pedal should be under less vibration stress than a tube in a combo amp, unless of course you set pedal right in front of speaker output.

You can get dud tubes from all the makers, just luck of the draw. May last 6mo., may last 6yrs. I'm sure a meticulous builder like Simon probably screens his tubes for noise and microphonics, beyond that it's just a roll of the dice.

Only thing that's guaranteed with a tube is that it can go bad at anytime.

0xeneye

Silver Supporting Member
My favorite tubes currently in use are Mullards and RCAs and Phillips from the 60s.

caballero59

Drop a pedal or a combo amp and they both hit the floor at the same speed. Mass is not a factor. I would think the vibrations in a lightly-built combo would be the worst.

Phosphenetre

Related question, how durable and reliable are pedals like the Kingsleys if you're a flying touring musician and your pedalboard (while in a flight case) is checked in for flights where it'll often by thrown around, bumped hard and generally treated

Trending Topics

Top Bottom