1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Tube wizards ID info if youve got a sec

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by damian1, Mar 3, 2012.

1. damian1

damian1 Member

2. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

The one on the right is a Japanese Toshiba

Due to the angle of the photo, it is difficult to confirm - but the one on the left looks like RCA.

Great score, if they both operate well.

- Thom

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Yes Thom its an RCA short plate. Bob

4. Timbre Wolf

:wave Hey Bob! Thanks!!

- Thom

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Hey Thom. Hope things have been well for you. Been on hiatus from guitar/amps for about a year now.(since my last band broke up). Delved into the world of digital photography since then....for now. : > ) Bob

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Hey Bob, me too! What are you shooting?

7. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Hey Mike,no kidding! Entry level Nikon D3100. Built up a set of lens too. Kit 18-55mm, Sigma 18-250mm,35mm f1.8 and an FX 70-300mm. Set of macro ext. tubes too. Also bought an Olympus XZ1 P+S to have with me where ever I go. Nice compact. Ive got my eye on the D7000 though. Bob

8. Timbre Wolf

I used to be a fine arts photographer, back in the '80s, and set it aside to focus more on music. Isn't that a hoot! The things that you can do now used to take hours of effort, in stuffy darkroom chemical atmospheres - those were the days!! :rotflmao

Nice to hear from you again, Bob, and cheers to Mike and all!

- T

9. damian1

damian1 Member

Thanks you guys are amazing! Sorry for the duplicate thread thought i had erased it. Ill report back on how they sound

10. Timbre Wolf

Cool - I hope you like 'em.

- T

11. damian1

damian1 Member

Update action. Tried the tubes they worked well with low noise. I tried them against an amperex and a long plate rca in a drri.

The rca sounded like you would expect an rca to sound. Sweet, round, fatty. It was a little scooped in the mids though. The japanese toshiba was very similar in some regards except for the kinda hi fi/ clear vibe it had. The rca definitely colored the sound more, but what a beautiful color!

So what I found out is that the amperex and long plate rca that i had are just badass tubes! The long plate rca in particular. I need to seriousle track down some more of these. It had so much more volume, harmonix, complexity. Just awesome.

12. Timbre Wolf

Thanks for the report!

- T