Tube Zone - last ditch attempt before returning it

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by joegrant413, Apr 2, 2008.

1. joegrant413

joegrant413 Member

I'm about to return the MI Audio Tube Zone after hours of twiddling it. Some points:

- Except for the big last point I'm going to make, it sounds very musical, never harsh.

- Very versatile.

- I generally "get it" and feel comfortable with all six controls

- I bought this for high-gain uses. Although I also checked out low-gain settings, most of my trial with it at home has been for massive gain.

- The big last point: The tone always feels somewhat muffled. I've tried and tried to dial in something that makes it sound more "there". While the TZ is far from sounding digital, the only thing I can compare this to is how a really good MFX like the ToneLab can sound great, but never feel quite "there." Well, the TZ just doesn't sound and feel "there"; and I can't say this for any analog pedal I've ever owned. BTW, I also tried tweaking the Internal Presence Control as well.

- FWIW, I've been using this with an Ibanez RGA121 and a Fender DRRI.

So... it's going back... unless some advice comes through to help me figure out how to get the blanket off the TZ's tone.

Thx,
    -- Joe

2. gdcx

gdcx Silver Supporting Member

I just got one too and posted an SOS last week after spending my whole Sunday screwing around with it. I am going to keep mine, thanks to the help I got from TGP members.

Here are the suggestions that helped me most:

First - be sure you set the internal Presence control full open.

My favorite high-gain type setting was given to me by TGP Member "Lucidology" - here it is for you to try:

Bright: Off
    Mid: 9 O'Clock
    Char: Off
    Volume:1 O'Clock
    Tone: 3 O'Clock
    Drive: 2 O'Clock

Best of luck with it.

Greg

3. joegrant413

joegrant413 Member

Thanks, bro. I haven't tried Bright OFF. I'll give your settings a shot!!
    -- Joe

4. Phil M

Phil M Member

I had the old 3 knob model twice--once with the 3 way toggle and one with a 2 way. I found certain settings that were muffled, but that pedal is so tweakable (and versatile) that you're bound to turn something and get what you want. It's just a matter of taking the time.

FYI, that pedal is know for it's smooth, heavy, high gain sounds but it also makes an excellent low to medium gain overdrive.

5. joegrant413

joegrant413 Member

OK, I made the suggested adjustments. Seemed to help. Until I get a Return Auth from the people that sold me the Tube Zone, I might tweak a bit more.

Thanks again,
    -- Joe

6. joegrant413

joegrant413 Member