Tubemeister 36 Fizz

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LostShepherd, Apr 19, 2016.

1. LostShepherd

LostShepherd Member

Hi there,

Can anyone advise me on how to clear fizz from the lead channel? I have tried retubing with all JJ's (JJ Tube Upgrade Kit For Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister 36 Amps EL84/ECC83S) and honestly I heard no discernible difference and the fizz is just as bad.

I hear the fizz mostly at home on the 1/5 Watt setting but also occurs in others, can anyone advise on the following ~

• Is it the preamps that are responsible for the fizz
    • Is V1 closest to the input
    • What tube would be best for minimizing the fizz and in what position?
      • Could I mix that (least fizzy preamp)tube with the stock tubes ok?
    • Is a balanced triode preamp any use
      • What position would it typically occupy, V3?
    • Are the power amps not really that important to consider re. fizz
    Setup wise I am playing a 2013 LP Traditional and always have lead pickup coil tapped, through a Harley Benton G212 ( I have tried two other cabs and had the same issue).

I also have a Boss GT-10 which I am going to use as well via the 4CM for NS-2 \ midi \ other effects. I am starting to think though that I may just dial down the gain on the lead channel until the fizz is gone and just boost to a tone I like using the GT-10, sucks though as I really wanted to just be able to use the amp distortion as I like it bar the fizz, plus the amp generally has a nice bright sound which I like and plenty of good features.

Thanks in advance,
    LS

2. billgwx

billgwx Member

Great question. I just got a Tubemeister 36 and noticed the same thing. Have read elsewhere that it may be a problem of too high gain with not enough master volume. Reducing gain and boosting volume so that the tubes are driven harder may help. The amp's power soak feature may come in very handy in making this happen, especially if you're going to use the GT-10 to control the amp via MIDI as I'm going to with a GT-100. Going to experiment soon...

3. oneshowmaster

oneshowmaster Supporting Member

I would most definitely boost the volume to open the amp up and turn down the gain. Billgwx hit it right on the head. I own (2) tubemeister 18 heads and have been gigging them this way for years. They can be fizzy at low volume. My favorite 1x12 cab to pair them with is an egnater Rebel 1x12 with the Celestion Elite 80. They sound monsterous through 4x12's.