tubes and speakers for HRD

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by shawnshack, Feb 21, 2009.

1. shawnshack

shawnshack Member

On the amp forum I started a thread about my HRD at times being a bit too shrill for me. I love the overall tone, but like I said, maybe a little to shrill or harsh when trying to mic it. I've tried on and off axis. I usually settle for off axis and back about 6 inches. This has worked well, but I've been recommended to change tubes and speaker.

The speaker recommendation was an Eminance Swamp Thang. What are your opinions. I play at a church. We play a variety of music, but it is modern/contemporary worship (hillsong, united, desparation, etc). My tone is what I consider to be inspired by the brown sound and joe perry (however it is a humble attempt). The pedals I use are in my sig...the OCD being the primary OD. I rarely use the OD on the amp.

I haven't hear much talk about power amp tubes. But I was recommended to change the v1 preamp tube to a 5751. From reading about that it sounds more like that would effect getting more drive at lower volumes, this is not necessarily my goal. What are your opinions? Also, my tubes aren't glowing as much as I would expect, or as I've seen on other HRD's. Does this mean they are going bad?

Also, if you recommend tubes, please let me know your favorite brands. Where are you guys finding the best tube and speaker deals?

2. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

Eminence Cannabis Rex is THE speaker for the HRD, IMO. Really smooths out the high end, and helps give some character to a squeaky-clean amp. Bernie at BLTSound has good prices on Emi speakers.

You should easily see the glow in your power tubes. It can be hard to see the glow in certain preamp tubes. I'm not a fan of the 5751, I would keep the 12AX7s in place. If you want to try a lower gain tube, try the 12AY7.

3. Bluesbuff

Bluesbuff Member

+1 for the cannabis rex, I think it really helps with the spiky nature of the unmodded Hrd. Replacing the 12ax7 in V1 with a 5751 will give you slightly less gain. I haven't tried it in my Hrd but it sounds great in my SFDR. The Omega mods for the Hrd are HIGHLY recommended and make the drive channels very useful. There are planty of threads on here about Jim Price and the Omega mods he does. I currently have all JJ tubes in my Hrd at Jim's suggestion after the mods. I also tried out a warehouse speakers vintage 30 clone, I think it's now called the veteran 30, and it was a close second the the can rex.

4. shawnshack

shawnshack Member

so do you think a speaker swap alone would work? and with the tubes, they aren't glowing real bright (preamp or power amp), but the power amp tubes are not near as hot as I would expect either. I've seen the extreme of tube heat from a b52 at212, I'm expecting, nor wanting that. But it does seem to be a bit weak...

5. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

I don't use a HRD, but the V30's I HAVE used sound way too ice-picky to my ear. Go with the Can Rex. The 5751, along with giving a bit more clean headroom, takes a bit of the edge off the highs. If you have stock Sovteks in there, try SED 6L6's (or NOS) for a huge improvement in tone. You can also try a "darker" sounding 12AX7 in V1.

Mike