Tubes for 18 watt Marshall

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Hand of Doom, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

What are your go to tubes in an 18 watt marshall? V1 V2 V3?

2. DrainBamage

DrainBamage Member

Vintage-Mullard, Amperex. New-long plate JJ803

smolder likes this.
  3. ked

ked Member

NOS Mullard would be first choice, second choice would be NOS RFT tubes. NOS Tesla el 84 power tubes.

Ken

4. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

What about the PI tube. looking to smooth out the tone.

5. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

Tungsram EL84s.

V1: Tungsram 12AX7
    V2: Tungsram 12AX7
    V3: Mullard 12AX7

6. Clyde Billt

Clyde Billt Silver Supporting Member

Mullard ECC83s are my preferred, but I'm very happy with any old Telefunken.

I've had Mullard re-issue EL84s in for ages and I like them.
    :hide2

7. small axe

small axe Member

i would go mullard 12at7 for a smoother PI sound imho

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

EL84s? Russian 6P14Ps sound great in that amp.
    Tung Sol Reissues for new 12AX7s, Mullard/Telefunken/Amperex for vintage.

RussB and dsmc80 like this.
  9. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

Amp came with JJ tubes. I haven't rolled any tubes in it yet, working nights, should have a day off on Saturday. So I'm just looking for experienced direction.

I have Mullard, Tungsram, Sylvania, Tesla and 6P14P EL84 tubes. I think I may have some China and Russian 84s also. In the past I have preferred Tungsram.

I also have an Amperex EZ81 to pop in it.

I'm really interested in what you guys like for a PI. I like the Mullard 12AT7 idea. I have a CV4024 to try out. In the past I have liked what 60s RCA 12AX7s have done for smoothing things out.

My preference tube in V1 for bigger Marshalls are 17mm Mullards. I don't see why it would change but I have never had an 18 watt before. My experience is, with classic amps, 17mm tubes just sound and feel better. I have the usual 17mm tubes, Ken Rad, Mullard, RCA, Sylvania, Raytheon, GE, Siemens, Philips...

Like I said, looking for direction from 18 watt guys that have rolled tubes. PI, V1-V3 Thank you.

10. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Try a Telefunken smooth plate

11. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

All this time I thought V3 was the PI. It is V2.

So, what are your favorite EL84 in this amp?

12. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

13. Sherwood

Sherwood Member

Seriously, this is a very well conceived and superbly built amp. After experimenting with tubes in a live situation You'll find out most of the tone is on the amp's circuit itself. What that means is you're hardly find it to sound bad with any pre-screened/selected current production tubes becouse the circuitry and transformers are stellar.

I tryed everything with mine (2061x - head) and hope my 2cents worth of opinion may help you somehow.

At home, low-to-moderate volume i pick the nuaces of NOS tubes. On rehearsals and gigs, i don't.

Just to satisfy my inner tweaker self, i sometimes like to use the following NOS in it: V1) Mullard 12ax7 but lately favoring RCA 12ax7 and Ei 12ax7; V2/PI) Tung Sol 5157 and Phillips 12aX7; V3-V4) Telam/Polam el84 sound great in this amp.

On a daily basis i use the following (and really don't like it less than NOS sound): V1) pre-screened for low microphonics Svetlana 12ax7 or Genalex gold pin; V2/PI) Sovtek 12ax7LPS; V3-V4) Tung-Sol EL84.

If you're after a little warmer and slightly more compresseed sound, get current production Mullard el84. If you want less chime and more robust sound (6v6-style with more mids) get the current production TAD-el84.

Wathever your choice for V1 and PI, buy pre-screened for low microphonics. This amp is VERY sensitive to vibrations.

14. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

Thank you for your input. So far I've only experimented with PI and found NP tubes give a harsh high end. I really liked a Amperex in V2.

15. DV52

DV52 Member

Mr. Doom,
    Did you used to go under another name and have some clips of Germino amps .,that sounded fantastic by the way .

Hand of Doom likes this.
  16. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

Yes, and yes I did. Thank you, love my Germino amps. Lately I've been into a 5F4 Tweed Super I built.

17. DV52

DV52 Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I have also wanted a 1974x . I have no talent ,so building an amp is out of the question unless I call in some favors from friends that
    have talent.
    So how are you liking the 18 watt? Funny question being that we all kike like that semi clean overdriven sound that it excels at .