Tubes for 5E3 Tweed deuxe amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jmonk99, Apr 14, 2015.

1. jmonk99

jmonk99 Supporting Member

What tubes did you find you like in your tweed deluxe amps.

Did you go with NOS?, or find a current production tube you like?

Hopefully this will save me a lot of tube buying and swapping.

And save your wise ass comments like "I like the 6V6 tubes" to yourself:)

2. cap47

cap47 Member

GE 6V6GTA, Sylvania 12AY7, RCA 12AX7 BP. Old Stock 5Y3.

3. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Look here The prices are fair, the tubes are great, Mike ships immediately, knows what he's doing and is a member here.

Oh, I've also used the new issue Tung Sol 6V6s and they sound quite nice.

My 5E3...

[​IMG]

Scott Naylor likes this.
  4. Trout

Trout Member

I got tired of chasing NOS tubes for my 5E3. I have a decent supply of them but decided to just sit on them.

I use
    TAD 7025 in V1 & V2, Tung-Sol 6V6 new production & JJ 5Y3.
    On the 6V6's I always buy quads, that way if one kicks the bucket I have a matched replacement handy.

They sound close enough for me.

5. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I agree on the Tung Sols. I had NOS GE in mine and the Tung Sol is so close the difference is negligible.

6. zenas

zenas Member

Yeah I also like the TS 6V6 RI. Just keep an eye on them I know it's a cathode bias amp but some run too hot for them.
    You'll know right away because they turn red and short. With the Weber PT I just switched to the low voltage B+ but a different cathode resister would have worked too.

7. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

I have a pair of Brimar 6V6 in my Lil'dawg D-Lux very happy with them.

8. ac/dcfan87

ac/dcfan87 Member

Go for a NOS 12AY7 or 6072 in V1. And get some NOS RCA 6V6GTA clear glass for the power section. I didn't notice any difference using a NOS 12AX7 in V2.

9. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I'm always rolling preamp tubes ;) but I've found that I actually really like current production Sovtek 6v6's in my 5e3. I've also found NOS rectifier tubes to be well worth the money, I've had too many new ones die and the NOS keeps on keeping on.

10. hardys

hardys Member

I have a Lil' Dawg 5E3 and RCA Black Plates sound amazing when overdriving the power section. I've not heard another 6V6 sound so good & smooth when breaking up. I've heard people say this for years, but I never got it until I tried them for myself. They really are "all that and a bag of chips".

11. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    ...until the Russian Tung Sols crap out and the GE's last 5 times longer. ;)

12. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

I would send the money on a good NOS or ANOS 12AY7. The other tubes are up to you. I usually find NOS and ANOS 6V6's for cheap enough that I don't mess with buying new production ones. Though if I was going to cut some corners to save money, I might do the 6V6's first. A good NOS rectifier is usually well worth the money. Even though they cost twice as much, they last 4 times as long or something. I've actually never had a NOS rectifier go bad on me, and I have a few that have been in operation for 50+ years. As for the 12AX7... I don't think you'll get as much variation in tone with this tube as you will in most other circuit designs. In any case, every amp I own has at least one of these tubes in it, so I have plenty of old production 12AX7's in my stash. I only use the new production ones as guinea pigs in new builds and practice amps.

13. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

I like a NOS 12AY7 much better than the new EH one. I like the new Tung Sol 12AX7. NOS RCA or GE 6V6 tubes are awesome. I also really like the new JJ 6V6 and it will give just a little more clean headroom, which I think a tweed Deluxe can use.

14. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

yes, he new Tung Sols do sound nice, but do crap out, alas. I have RCA6V6GT in my Louis Electric HD12. GE, Sylvania nice, Phillips?
    KCANOS is very good.

15. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

At least get an old-stock rectifier. You'll have a better chance of hitting original voltages, and maybe not stress the outputs as badly.

16. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

I swap tubes pretty often, but right now, for V1, a 12AY7 or 5751, both usually RCA. For V2, a Sylvania 12AX7. A pair of RCA 6V6GTs, and a JAN 5Y3.

One of the best circuits for tube rolling!

17. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Yeah, there's always that.

18. TeletoneH137

TeletoneH137 Member

I have always used current production Tung Sol. Very happy with those and never had a problem!

19. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Any more info on this?

Thinking of going with old RCA Blackplate 6V6's. Unless the new TungSol 6V6's are just as good.

Not sure what 5Y3 to get. I have a Bendix 6106/5Y3 I could use, and a Magnavox 5Y3.

20. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Tone is purely subjective and the Russian Tung Sols are pretty popular. But longevity, which is typically 5X as long with NOS, is objective.

Scott Naylor likes this.