Tubes for a T100 Yamaha/Soldano Head

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Smgbad, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Smgbad

Smgbad Supporting Member

So I just got off the phone with Soldano amps and asked for a recommendation for new tubes for my late 80's Mike Soldano designed Yamaha T100. I thought he was going to say something nice, and boutiquey, and expensive. He recommended JJ tubes in the 7 preamps and 4 matched 5881 Sovteks as thats what they use in their stock amps and they proved to be the most durable... :huh

My experiences with them in the past have been that they are the ones I'm constantly replacing. :mob

Any truth to that being a reliably good sounding setup, or do they just use thos because they are cheaper than using SED's or Tung Sols?

2. 5992

5992 Member

My T50H came with Chinese Coke bottle 6L6GCs. They had the Yamaha logo on them.

I did a test with several varieties of 6L6s, including various Chinese, Russian and used American made tubes. They all sounded pretty much alike. I think it has to do with the fact that most of the distortion is generated in the preamp. However, I go good results with mine when I put the gain on 12-1 o'clock an cranked the master to get the power tubes cooking. But I digress.

Sovtek 5881s would be a good choice. They are robust and fairly inexpensive and will last a while. They are kind of flat sounding in other circuits, but I found that they sounded pretty good in the Yamaha/Soldano amp.

3. Smgbad

Smgbad Supporting Member

In that case, would you recommend Sovtek 5881WXT, Sovtek 5881, or Tung Sol 5881 RI?