1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

tubes for an AC30HW 2*12

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Bradders, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Bradders

Bradders Member

it's time for a re-tube.....any suggestions and why? What tonal differences are there between the brands and stuff? It's always been a bit of a black art to me as I wonder if my ear's good enough to know any difference between a "higher gain" 12AX7 and a lower gain 12AX7 etc........also what about power tubes Any reason to not simply replace them with the Sovteks that are already in there?

I realize there's an obvoius answer - if you like the sound then slap the same tubes in but hopefully no-one will go that route

What did different tubes do for your AC-30 ......?

thanks

2. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I'd like to know too, as mine is sure do for one soon...

3. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

I assume you want to swap all the tubes, but you may find only the power tubes are needed. The rectifier and preamp tubes generally last a very long time.

This is always subjective, but here are some ideas:

Money no object: Mullards across the board

Less money, but very good tone: Mullard rectifier, EI power tubes, Mullard for V1, all others JJ.

Cheaper, but good tone and very reliable: Mullard rectifier, JJ power and preamp tubes.

Best bang for the buck: EI power tubes, and swap V1 only for a Mullard, Telefunken, or Amperex. Leave the other tubes there if they are still fine.

I like Mullards for the rectifier because they are very durable and long life. IMHO EI power tubes sound better than JJ's in an AC30 but they need to be screened for low current. Spend some time choosing V1.

4. Bradders

Bradders Member

thanks Fullerplast - I asked the same question over on the Plexi board and EI came out recommended highly as well - right now I've got JJs in there fopr power tubes with EH pre-amp tubes and they're fine - but, I'm keen to experiment a bit so will look out for some EIs.

Can I ask where you get yours - online, I assume, as I've never seen them anywhere?
    thanks again.
    Bradz

5. fullerplast

I get both my EI's and JJ's from Lord Valve. Let me know if you need his contact info.

6. Bradders

Bradders Member

If you could provide - then that would be cool - -thanks Man...;)

7. fullerplast

Lord Valve contact info:

email: LORD_VALVE@prodigy.net

IF YOU'D LIKE TO CALL YOUR ORDER IN...
    The number is 303-778-1156; we open at 1:30 PM Denver (Mountain) time, and stay open until we're sick o' the joint...usually, some time between 9:00 PM and 1:00 AM.

ATTENTION: LORD VALVE
    NBS Electronics
    230 South Broadway
    Denver, CO 80209-1510

VISA/MASTERCARD/DISCOVER and C.O.D. orders can be phoned in Monday through Saturday AFTER 1:30 PM Denver (Mountain) time.

Also, don't forget our own GP member Blue Strat, who carries much of the same inventory (maybe more NOS too), and also provides excellent service:

Mike K
    KCA NOS Tubes & Amp Repair/Modifications
    http://www.kcanostubes.com

8. Bradders

Bradders Member

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

But that said, to get the old Vox AC30 sound you really need the Mullard power tubes. Nothing else, old or new sounds the same. If you can live with a slightly bass heavy response, you can get pretty close with RFT which are less than 1/2 the price.. V1 is definitely the most important preamp tube, I like Mullard there, but like Amperex too for its sweet harmonics. The rest of the preamp tubes are flexible. I agree that a good quality GZ34 is a good investment-it should last years. There's a strong debate about whether and how much different rectifier tubes affect the sound, but NOS is probably the way to go bang for buck-wise.