Tubes for Fargen Dual Classic?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gtrshow, Oct 10, 2006.

1. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

Just curious to know what you DC owners are using for power and pre-amp tubes. I'm about to start experimenting in earnest and am wondering what you've found to work best. I'm currently running with the stock JJ's and EH's with the exception of an RCA branded Mullard in V2, a JAN 5751 in V3, a Sylvania in the PI slot, and a Mullard 5AR4. I'm really pleased with the results so far (it IS a killer amp, after all), but just can't resist the temptation to tweak.

Thanks,
    Pete

2. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

I am still running the original stock tubes - JJ 6L6's and Sovtek LPS 12AX7's. I spent a long afternoon swapping out various NOS and modern tubes, and came back to the originals.

I just got some Tung-Sol 12AX7 Reissues that I am going try in there, but I was really surprised how well the Sovteks performed.

I didn't try a 5751 in V3 - that's a good idea. Thanks for that.

3. jdsgilmour

jdsgilmour Suffering from chronic gearitis Gold Supporting Member

Is your dual classic 6V6s or 6L6s? My old DC was dual 6V6 (man, I miss her), and I absolutely loved the gray glass Marconi 6V6Gs that I scored from Mike (Blue Strat) at KCA NOS Tubes. Just phenomenal sounding, IMHO. At one point, I had an RCA 12AY7 and a RCA 7025 in the preamp section that just added some fantastic overtones. I don't remember what the remaining two preamp tubes were. Maybe GE or JAN Philips. But I really think one or two select RCA preamp tubes and the Marconis in the power section will make you smile. Best of luck!

John

4. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

My DC has Blackface on one side and JTM style on the other. I mention this because many have tweed as the second channel.

New Tung Sol in V1 made for more sparkle on the BF side. Clear, pristine and crunches nicely.
    Mullard CV4024 in the PI mad everything very rich and balanced.
    Brimar 12AX7 made the JTM side very chunky, nice rich mids and great singing lead tone.

Still have the Svet power tubes (6L6) so far. Sound v. good.

Let's hope the king of Dual Classic tweaks chimes in soon... Seegs? :AOK
    Chris

PS For a laugh, you should ask about speakers for the DC - Mr. S. is a wealth of knowledge and it's a fun story! :)

5. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Supporting Member

Good info to have. I have a Dual Classic coming to me this week straight from Fargen!!

6. jdsgilmour

jdsgilmour Suffering from chronic gearitis Gold Supporting Member

Good point, Chrissy. My DC was BF on one side and Tweed on the other. Hence, the 12AY7 (Tweed).

John

7. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

Yeah, where's Seegs? He's been a great fan of the DC.

Nice to hear that the Tung-Sols work well. Think it is time to play around with tubes again.

Mine is Blackface in the first channel and Tweed Bassman up into cranked JTM45 in the second channel.

What a great, great amp!

8. Seegs

Seegs Member

Hey guys...nothing fancy just Svet...winged C power tubes and the RI Tung sol 12AX7 in V1(tweed) and a Gold Ei 12AX7 in V2(tweed) with a RI Tungsol 12AX7 in V3 (BF) and a Mullard CV4024 in the PI which is the key IMO...JJ 5AR4 Rectifier

I did a lot of experimenting and I've tried a lot of NOS offerings and this tube set hangs with the best of em for a lot less money...

Chow,
    Seegs

9. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

Great stuff guys, thanks so much for the input. Really nice to see the all the DC owners congregate. Many of your previous posts were hugely influential in my decision to spring for the Fargen.

To address a few of the points that have been made...

I have the 6L6 version with the standard Blackface and Tweed/JTM channel configuration, but with a toggle to switch the voicing between Tweed and JTM on Ch. 2. I asked Ben about experimenting with 6V6's and a 5Y3, but he said that the circuit optimally wants to see something from the 6L6 family, and recommended 5881's as an earlier break-up alternative. I just took receipt of a set today and will report back on my findings.

A 12AY7 in V2 is something I intend to try and, in fact, is what Ben recommended for more of a Bassman tone. No surprise there, but it will be interesting to see how it affects the JTM voicing. I wouldn't expect that it will do it any favors.

The 5751 in V3 came about as the result of an effort to tame the brightness on Ch. 2 (does anyone else find this?), and it does an excellent job of it. I tried it in V2 first, but it just didn't have the same effect.

I also tried an old 7025 that I have kicking around in V1, but found the stock EH 12AX7 has more punch. I totally agree with everyone's comments that the stock tubes sound great. I'm especially impressed with those EH's. They also came stock in my Carr Hammerhead head, and sound equally great there. The new Tung-Sols really sound like they're worth a go and, by the sounds of it, a Mullard in the PI slot seems almost mandatory.

I've got some stuff in transit to try out in the DC as well as my other amps. I'll try to post periodic updates as my mad experiments progress.

Pete

P.S. Regarding speakers, I'm running the DC into a stock THD 2x12. That cab sounds great with everything!

10. Seegs

Seegs Member

As my dear friend Chrissy mentioned I have done quite a bit of experiementing with speakers in my DC...mine originally came with a Weber 10" blue pup and an 12" Eminence GB128 and when the Weber blew I went on a 5 year speaker search:jo

suffice to say I ended up with a 10" Eminence Copperhead and a 12" Red White and Blues...I like the Governor and the Copperhead combo but the RW&B takes my pedals better so as long as I use pedals I will stay with the RW&B...with the Governor CH combo the DC needs no dirt pedals just an A/B/Y switcher...

a couple of other upgrades that really brought the amp into elite status was an Evidence Source power cable and Mulder X speaker hookup cable...those upgrades took an already great amp and put it off the map...

Chow,
    Seegs

11. Jimetti

Jimetti Member

Get a set of the Ruby 6L6 MSTRs and smile!

Seriously!

The richest modern 6L6 tube available...and no, I don't own the company!

12. leftyaxeslinger

How long of a speaker cable does this need? I'm getting ready to order some and would like to get the most accurate length.

13. straticus

straticus Member

I just re-tubed my DC Bordeaux. I was using an RCA 7025 in p1 and JJ's in p2 & 3. I ended up going with ri TungSol 12ax7's in p1,2,&3 and I'm loving these tubes! They crunch in such a wonderful way .......... very complex and nicely ballanced. Beautiful cleans too!

I keep coming back to Winged C's for the power section.

14. Lution

Lution Member

My Blackbird absolutely loves the Tung-Sol 12ax7 in v1, JJ ECC83S in v3, and Mullard CV4024 in the PI slot.

Richness and big blooming sound!!

15. Seegs

Seegs Member

kinda depends on whether you have a combo or a head/cab coming and what speakers yours is coming with?

Mine is a combo and about about the size of a Super reverb...both the X-Combo and X-Jumper are 9"...

Chow,
    Seegs

16. leftyaxeslinger

I have a 30w head and a J Designs 2x12 cab on the way. I believe the speakers will be what Ben usually uses for these - 1 V30 and 1 G12H30.

17. leftyaxeslinger

Ok, so I received my Dual Classic and really dig it so far. The clean channel is a dream. The drive channel is very versatile and takes every pedal I throw at it like a champ. Everything is still breaking in but I can tell that this thing is a keeper.

It came with Electro Harmonix pre amp tubes. Every tube problem I've had in the past few years has been with an EHX 12ax7. They've always sounded fine they just seem to crap out easier. Anyone have any further suggestions for pre amp tubes? I'm finding the clean channel just right but would like to tame some of the harshness of ch2 when I just have the drive set to a med crunch.

Here's a pic:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/lefty_photos/100_1629.jpg

18. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

Lefty,

I found Ch2 a little harsh at first as well. Tried a JAN GE 5751 in V3 and that solved it. I've settled on a pair of Tung-Sol 5881's for power tubes, and an on older Tung-Sol 12AX7 in V2. Both the tweed and JTM voicings sound magnificent. Still experimenting with various tubes in V1 (Ch1) but everything I've tried sounds great in that position, just slightly different.

Cheers,
    Pete

19. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

Pete,
    Did you have to make any adjustments to go to the 5881's?

20. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

Geoff,

Not really. I biased them but, from what I remember, they were pretty close to the JJ's they replaced.

Pete