Tubes for Helios exlipse

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fatbagg, Mar 26, 2019.

1. fatbagg

fatbagg Supporting Member

any recommended preamp tubes, or a tube layout/function so I can mad scientist this mofo?

2. flimz

flimz Supporting Member

From Bogner website:
    V1, closest to the input jack affects all three channels, V2 is only used if ch2 and or ch3 set to eclipse mode, V3 is always used for ch2 and ch3. V4 is for the loop and V5 is the phase inverter which is already part of the power amp.

I tried a 5751 in V2 to lower the gain in eclipse mode. Worked well.

fatbagg likes this.
  3. fatbagg

How was the noise level of eclipse + formyou? For me, if I hold a note, it won’t sustain, it isnovertaken by hiss and feedback/squeal within a few seconds. Even with the gain at 12 if my guitar volume is not rolled completely down its screaming and hissing.

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Is there something specific you're trying to accomplish? Also, what are the original tube types and brands? It's easier to recommend something different if we know this.

fatbagg likes this.
  5. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

I have no experience with this amp, but since V2 is involved only in the ‘eclipse’ mode there may be a questionable tube in V2. Does the lack of sustain/hissing/squealing occur even with your guitar output at max?? If so, I would suggest installing a known good 12AX7 in V2 to see if that restores proper operation there. If you had a good 5751, which is a lower gain 12AX7 type of tube, you could try that as
    flimz suggested.....if you are looking to decrease the gain in what seems to be the highest gain option.

fatbagg likes this.
  6. fatbagg

Just trying to see why that one mode is so noisy, and if it is normal. It has an insane amount of gain/stages, so I wasn’t sure.

7. TheSmeeze007

TheSmeeze007 Supporting Member

I have a helios eclipse. The level of hiss and squeal you are describing is not normal. Neither is the lack of sustain. Does it happen in eclipse or eclipse+ (highest gain setting) mode? If it is only in eclipse+ mode you might have a problem with the V2 preamp tube. If you put a lower gain tube in V2, it sounds great as well, but I prefer a regular 12ax7 for more gain.

I do find the eclipse+ mode to be a little fizzy if I have the bright switch on the highest setting, but other than that, the amp is pretty darn good. Probably the best thing about it for me is that with the brightness switch and presence knob you can make it bright, gnarly, and super aggressive---more plexi-like, if that makes sense.

If you contact Bogner they can help you troubleshoot as well.

As an aside, my only gripe about the amp is the loop. The first versions had a different loop with a low send level and high return level to theoretically be better for pedals. For my set up, it's noisy. Bogner changed it back to a more traditional design earlier this year. When I contacted Bogner about it, they were still great to work with---offered to change it for free if I shipped it to them or to send me the schematic to have a tech do the work.

fatbagg likes this.
  8. fatbagg

Thank you. Yea, it’s just when I go to Eclipse+. I’ll swap that tube. My effects loop is really good on this, but I do have to set the return level really high formhnity volume.