• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Tubes for Marshall Class 5

exodus

I was going to swap the tubes out of my Marshall Class 5. Just wondering if anyone has experience with different manufacturers for this particular amp...or if it even matters. Thx.

helrazr84

I just put JJEL84s and Tung Sol 12AX7s in mine.

I have 2 of the heads and when one started crackling, I just replaced all the tubes in it at once. Then I recorded each head separately (other head w/ stock tubes) just for my own curiosity and they sounded pretty much the same. I thought the Tung Sols seemed ever so slightly brighter but nothing obvious. I wasn't expecting to be blown away, I just wanted a solid set of tubes.

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
Made a BIG difference, obviously imo.

I put a short-plate Mullard in the preamp and a Tungsram EL84 in for power. I thought it made a very big difference. Went from being an amp I rarely used to one that I actually play a lot these days.

lang.murphy

I had 3 Class 5's; 2 combos and 1 head. Hell, yeah, tubes will make a difference in that amp.

IMHO, amps with simpler circuits allow the tubes to have a larger impact on tone. I had an Emery Sound Superbaby (actually owned 2 at different times) which really allowed me to hear the difference between different power tube types.

My favorite tubes in my C5's were Mullard pulls from a '65 Vox Cambridge Reverb. I know a lot of people like JJ's. I am not one of those people. At least for pre-amp tubes... (Full disclosure: I am using JJ EL-84's in my Orange Tiny Terror...) I like Gold Lion 12AX7's for current production tubes.

Can't say I have a preference for current EL-84 production tubes. I got the JJ's for my TT based on cost alone.

Kcanostubes.com is a good place to look for NOS and ANOS tubes; the owner posts here and is "good people" in my book. (No affiliation other than as an infrequent customer.)

I tried all the 12ax7s (a lot) I own right after I bought it and ended up preferring the marshall branded JJs that came in it.

may be time to try something else though. i hadnt played this thing in a very long time and forgot how fun it is.

helrazr84

I put a short-plate Mullard in the preamp and a Tungsram EL84 in for power. I thought it made a very big difference. Went from being an amp I rarely used to one that I actually play a lot these days.
What difference did you hear?

I have 2 heads and 2 combos and when I need to change tubes again, I'm open to something other than basic stuff (as mentioned in my other post) like I usually go with.

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
What difference did you hear?

I have 2 heads and 2 combos and when I need to change tubes again, I'm open to something other than basic stuff (as mentioned in my other post) like I usually go with.
Tighter response, more low end. Sounded bigger/fuller in general.

I usually keep the bass at nearly zero but a little tighter sound without loosing that slightly messy breakup would be cool.
me too- i think thats common knowledge these things are a sludgey mess basswise at any other bass setting than 0. definitely dont want more bass.

treble boosters 'tighten' things up perfectly w the class 5. even helps w the excess bass and distorts just the right frequencies.

just wanted to confirm purplejesus's stmnt about the short plate mullard 12ax7 for the class 5. to me it sounds MUCH better than the marshall branded JJs that came w it. prior to trying the mullard i though the JJs were the best out of tung sol, ehx, shuang, and whatever else i had in my tube bag. this mullard short plate in v1 sounds great!

smoother but still has that aggressive marshall voice and much richer mids. a little lower gain but its still plenty of gain when cranked, especially w a treble booster, lol.

anyone w a class 5 should at least check out the mullard short plate 12ax7 for the v1 position. great sounding w this amp and its making me want to order more of them for another of my amps.

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
anyone w a class 5 should at least check out the mullard short plate 12ax7 for the v1 position. great sounding w this amp and its making me want to order more of them for another of my amps.

You could say this across the board for most tube amps. Real Mullards always come out on top for my listening.We are talking about NOS, not modern production Mullards.

Trending Topics