Tubes for Mesa's

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by ducmike, Aug 18, 2004.

1. ducmike

ducmike Silver Supporting Member

I would like to try different tubes in my Lone Star, but I'm worried about proper bias. I don't like being held hostage by Mesa's coded tubes to match the amp bias policy. Anyone know of anyway to match other brands to Mesa's power tube color codes. I like the amp alot, but I'm a tinkerer.

2. leond

leond Supporting Member

Call Lord Valve.

I've put non Mesa tubes in 3 Mesa amps and have always gotten the tubes from LV. He claims to know the particular ratings for the different Mesa amps.

Anyways, they've always sounded real good with LV tubes.

LeonD

3. ducmike

Thanks, I'll check with him.
    Mike

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    We can supply any power tube we carry at the proper bias rating for Mesa amps.

5. mofinco

mofinco Member

I've been putting non-Mesa-branded tubes in my Mesas since 1979. There's nothing magical about their tubes. I'm not knocking them either. Mesa doesn't manufacture their tubes. They buy them from the same manufacturers. Their STR454 model tubes are Svets, for example.

As far as matched tubes, you definitely want that if you can get that, but Mesa sets their fixed bias at the low end, so you're not running them very hot no matter what. You're not going to get any damage if the tubes are a bit mismatched.

Most good tube houses will do some matching for you. I buy power tubes from Revolution Guitar in Los Angeles. He's an ebay seller. I've had fabulous service from him and had really well-matched tubes, and he stands behind his sales. I recommend him. I have EL34s from him in my Marshall SL right now, and a some Svet 6L6s in my Mesa power amp.

6. mrotenberry

mrotenberry Member

Bob at Eurotubes also matches Mesa tubes.

Merrick

7. somedude

somedude Member

Bob's great to deal with....

....but he's only good if you want JJ/Telsa tubes (that's all he sells).

I've also dealt with www.thetubestore.com, but I've only dealt with them in person, never though the net, so I don't know what they're like in that regard.

8. ducmike

Thanks for the info. I'm wanting to try it with el34's. Can I just replace the 2 outer tubes and keep it in 50 watt mode. I don't want to buy an expensive quad to find out that I hate it. I like the amp with 6L6's, just wondering what the el34's will sound like.