Tubes for Tone King Comet 40A

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by MikeS, Jul 28, 2008.

1. MikeS

MikeS Member

Hey guys, I'm looking for some suggestions on power tubes for my Tone King Comet 40A. It uses 4-6V6's. I'm not sure how high the plate voltages run on this amp, therefore I'm unsure what tubes I can really get away with these days. It currently has JJ 6V6 S' in it. It would be nice to have some softer, less "in the face" sounding tubes.

Ideas?

TIA! :banana

2. WaltC

WaltC Member

Try the new TungSol "re-issues". Decent sounding tubes and the few (12 or so) I've used so far worked out well.

TAD makes a 6V6 too but I've not tried it yet, and the JJ's will certainly take the voltage.

Drop Tone King a line (mail@toneking.com) and see what he recommends.

3. blueblazes

blueblazes Member

I had one (40B) and so did a friend of mine. We described the amps as very "Hi-Fi" sounding -same as ("in the face") I think. Very bright and "forward" sounding. We both had great results in changing not the outputs but the preamp tubes. The Sovtek 12ax7wa seems to be some of the problem. I swapped in a JJ ecc83 for the first position and put a Sovtek 12ax7LPS in the phase inverter. My friend tried some NOS RCAs I think and we both had luck taking off some of the icepicky edge of these amps and also getting a little earlier breakup. Its a great amp (one of my all time faves) but you have to experiment with the pre's as the amp is super clean out of the box.

4. MikeS

MikeS Member

I installed a set of Tung-Sol 6V6's and that in itself helped a LOT! It really sounds more like a 6V6 amp should with the Tung-Sol. The JJ's sounded more like 5881's.

Then I started swapping out preamp tubes too. I tried some old GE's and some RCA's, but what I wound up with was all new Tung-Sol 12AX7s. I really like those in every spot I've tried them in.

This amp is good to go with my bucker equipped guitars as well as my Tele's now.

5. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

Were did you get your Tung-Sol 6V6 quad?

I have a Meteor ll and it has the original EH's but one or more is getting some rattle and I want to try something else. I may experiment with the pre's too.
    The amp sounded so good just as it was when I got it is the first amp I just left alone and played!

Quads of 6V6's seem hard to find. For me at least!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  6. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

bumpin up for any advice on a quad of 6V6's for my Meteor II

:AOK