Tubes in the RI Marshall Bluesbreaker

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Soujurn, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Soujurn

Soujurn Member

I have a 2002 Bluesbreaker RI and it still has the original Sovtek 5881's in it. I have a pair of GT 6L6B's, hardness 7, sitting here and wondering if I can just swap them in without worrying about bias.

2. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

Current draw on new production tubes can vary wildly. I'd suggest either have a tech bias the amp for you or get a bias probe and meter and learn to do it yourself.
    Dave C

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    What Dave said. Unless you're using the same tubes with the same ratings, it's a crapshoot.

4. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

Further, GT 6L6Bs *are* Sovtek 5881s, so you're not going to gain anything unless the old ones are shot.

5. Soujurn

Soujurn Member

Thanks guys for the info. I know the GT's were probably just 5881 clones, therefore the question about whether they'd just swap in and be close enough. I guess I can always let my ears be the judge. ;)

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    It's not likely that your ears will tell you anything regarding bias. A better indication is whether or not your amp melts down;)