Tubes not turning on

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by jeffsheasley, Feb 7, 2012.

1. jeffsheasley

jeffsheasley Member

I recently bought a broken Peavey Triumph 120 as my first attempt at amp repair. After replacing the fuses and tubes, I had sound for about five minutes until it died out and the tubes stopped glowing. The indicator light still worked though. I took the tubes out, put the amp back together and I had sound, and played for a solid 15 minutes. This morning, I went to turn it on and the tubes wouldn't power up again. I did the same thing but the tubes haven't lit up yet. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? The preamps (which I didn't replace) are definitely old and starting to turn white, but would that cause the power tubes not to turn on?

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Not sure if it would affect the power tubes, but if ANY tube is turning white GET IT OUT OF THERE! It won't work and it might affect the rest of the amp.

In fact, just pull out all the white tubes and see if the others light up. It's safe, but the amp obviously won't work that way.

3. jeffsheasley

jeffsheasley Member

Just tried it, still no glow from the power tubes. I think I'm gonna take it to Pro Tec in Silver Spring (I'm assuming you know where it is if you're from Sterling)

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Sure do. Good luck.