1. kahluabeer

kahluabeer Member

hi im sorry maybe this is a dumb question
    my amps getting weird sudenly its low and up the volume
    and make some cracking sound
    and my friend tells that this is tube socket
    so i take deoxit/contact cleaner to clean this..its just find for a while and the trouble comes again

so my question is
    1.so i must replace the tube socket right?
    2.or there is another problem?
    3.what brand is good for tubes socket?
    4.where i can buy it online?i see there is many on ebay but i dont know what brands is good
    thanks

2. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Power tube socket or 9 pin? You need to tighten the power tube socket, by "closing" the meal pin grips. I use a big sewing needle (sailmakers needle).
    However, your problem could be lots of things. Had a similar problem recently and it ended up being the heater wire soldered to the socket was a bad/cold colder. The wire was just a bit loose in the solder joint.
    You need to remove all stored energy from the amp before attempting to tighten the tube grips!
    If you can open the amp, turn it on while exposed and do the "chop stick" test. tapping all over and try to identify where the problem is.
    If not confident you can do this safely don't do it!

3. kahluabeer

kahluabeer Member

Thanks for all
    maybe i would try to retension my pin socket
    its 80s amps

4. xtian

xtian Member

Does your amp makes ugly noises when you rock the tubes in their sockets? How about when tapping the tubes?

My point is, if it's a bad or loose socket pin(s) or bad solder connection, you should be able to make ugly noises by moving the tube.