tubes vs solid state

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sector9, Feb 16, 2008.

1. sector9

sector9 Member

2. thesteve

thesteve Member

I think he nails it a couple minutes through...only a handful of SS amp manufacturers have any clue what they're doing. The rest of them are just taking a cheap circuit and making as much profit as they can.

after that he just rambles for awhile about things he's not really sure about.

3. guitarvc

guitarvc Member

If what he says is true, than why hasnt a ss amp company make an amp that sounds as good as an SLO, or Bogner, or Egnater...Trainwreck. Even the new Marshalls and Fendersa sound better than the Line 6 which is the best SS amp out there. Even the Bogner collaberation with Line 6 doesnt hold a candle to a real Bogner.

This guy is dead wrong!

4. rockon1

rockon1 Member

5. HKGuns

HKGuns Member

He's all of 20 years old, what do you think he actually knows? Move along briskly and quietly please.

6. thesteve

thesteve Member

All I can say right now is that Line 6 is definitely not the best SS amp out there...I don't think most folks even consider them the best modelers in the sub-$500 range.

7. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I really wish I could have that 3:19 of my life back!

8. Free

Free Member

OK then, following his "logic" that "every sound can be emulated - that's modern science...". How the hell does that not apply to his Line 6, which he so eloquently discounts and smirks at a few seconds into this parody! That is a fun satire to watch. That dude is a bit off.

9. Rapmaster

Rapmaster Member

Ok....

What's the point of this video? This guy an engineer for Fender or something? I just don't see any credibility in some guy on Youtube.

10. yakuza

yakuza Member

If only knowledge came with age. :rolleyes:

11. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Take a Peavey Rage 158, plug it into a 2x12 cab at 4ohms and just teel me it doesn't totally KILL (that is the right term!?) any Fender Champ or other little tube amp.

But, of course you say, that's not a fair apples/apples comparison!

Neither is the comparison most people make (or ASSUME) when comparing tube and SS amps.

I couldn't watch all that vid, but make the tests yourself and the differences are slight, in direct, but fair, comparison.

12. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

End of thread.Move along,move along.

13. NatDeroxL7

NatDeroxL7 Member

wtf he didn't even play...probably doesn't play

14. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

^ Exactly. Hearing SS vs. Tubes is one thing, playing them is completley different. You can't hear touch sensitivity. You can't hear the different feel that comes from tubes. He didn't convince me one bit that SS is every bit as good as tubes.

15. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Member

Mmmm, I smell bitter old man.

16. edward

edward Supporting Member

Freakin kidding me?!!! After about one minute of his rambling, still no playing, I gave up. Puhleeease, what major goob!!

Edward

17. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

I believe He believes what he says, but guys like this may never quiet get the whole picture with tubes amps. Many people in a bar can't tell if your playing a tube or solid state but we can not only hear it but feel it, and that's what counts. Got a solid state amp that feels and sounds like a good tube amp, fine, I'll use it.

18. tremonti

tremonti Member

Is this guy a missing gunman from Columbine?? He is scary and really doesnt know ****. Solid states have there place(small practice amps at home) but for band practice, gigs and recordings......TUBES! He's not old enough to have wasted $1000's like many of us on here that buy equipment and seriously use it for a while before moving on. I have owned just about everything and finally came to a tube amp that is for me....never found a solid state that did it for me.

19. Cambian Dawn

Cambian Dawn Member

Perhaps he should've written it before recording it...

In terms of this argument, I think its pretty redundant. I've heard people with top of the range gear that sounds aweful. I've heard people play through the most shocking gear and make it sound amazing. Technique, speakers, pickups, effects, sound engineer, room size - it all plays a part in the sound and although valve amps will never be matched IMO for some sounds, you can't write off SS amps for live sound based on one or two experiences.

I know a couple of jazz guitarists who would never consider using valve amps because SS gives them a more consistent sound to work with. Wouldn't work for me, but these are guys with regular paying gigs.

This boils down to emulation of tones. Of course a SS amp can't sound like a plexi or a twin, but for people who can't afford either of these it works fine. I own a Matamp and also a Line 6. I've used the pod in loads of recordings and it sounds fine once you've EQ'd it.

Sorry for the rant!

20. thesteve

thesteve Member

Indeed...or any of a plethora of funk bands from the 1970s, Robbie Krieger (the Doors), and Pat Metheny (all Acoustic users).