Tubescreamers & Humbuckers not a good match?

auffredou

Someone told me in a thread over in the guitar section that some of the muffled sound I am getting with my les paul with lead tones could be because my TS9/silver is not a great match? (the clean tones are pretty good with my guitar/amp). Anyone have an opinion on this? Im thinking of switching to a P90 type pickup anyway, will this help? Are tubescreamers just better for strats in general? Thanks.

slopeshoulder

Trey Anastasio has made a caeer out of that combo (HB+TS).
Try a more open version like an Eternity or Zendrive or Gain Stage Red.
I'd change pedal before pickups.

auffredou

yes, and trey is one of my favorites. although when i think about it, he does have somewhat of that "muffled" lead tone, he just makes it work. im probably going to change pickups regardless because ive still got stock p-ups in my lp studio.

auffredou

how long is the waitlist for the zen by the way? and how much do they cost? i hear that pedal is incredible with humbuckers.

definitely try a diff't pedal before switching pick-ups. i agree that a more open, uncompressed OD could help as TS-type pedals can often be very compressed.

Hajimemashite

I'm searching for the same answer right now, I'm experiencing way to much mid hump and compression with my 'buckers and modded TS.

I can't justify spending over $200 on an OD though... so my options may be more limited than yours.

iamspartacus

I really liked the SD-1 silver i owned with my LP. Perhaps your amp/guitar combo doesn't seem to jive with it. If that's the case, yeah, go ahead and look for something else. I'd recommend the srb808+

auffredou

bump, still not sure what to do. i was looking at either getting a used strat vs. a pickup change and an rmc3 with my latest paycheck. still cant really decide. my guess would be that i wont be replacing the ts9 at least for a while, so its either going to get a strat to work with, or im going to have to hope that different pickups help.

giggedy

chris, the wait for the zen isn't that long. I got on the list in July, got the pedal the first week in december, it was $179.

auffredou

thats not as bad as i thought, maybe its worth looking into. i do hear it tends to be a great match for humbuckers?
...although i feel like im really at a crossroads here where im either going to start taking the single coil route or start adjusting my gear accordingly.

ive heard WAY too many times the past few months: "well this doesnt really work since you use humbuckers" amp (although it was the guy at guitar center who told me not to use a les paul with a drri, until he came in and went "wow, that sounds really good!), compressor (which i eventually worked out), other things.

dividedsky

I think TS pedals are great with humbuckers. Not sure what the stock pickups in your guitar are like but you might want to try something that will be a little clearer. I had some Fralins in mine but they were insanely bright, although in an LP they might be perfect. I just got some Duncan 59s installed and I love them.

auffredou

theyre the stocks in a les paul studio, so i think theyre the 490/498 combo. from reviews ive read, phat cats may be that perfect strat type single coil/humbucker middle ground ive been looking for, and i played a paul with p90s in a store that i seemed to like, ive just been having trouble making myself order a set of pickups im unsure about.

auffredou

i worded that a little weird, what i meant to say was phat cats seem to be right in between a strat style single coil and a heavier humbucker.

LouRossi

I use the Maxon 808 when I'm using SC's and a Keeley SD-1 w/ the buckers. Seems like the best sound...

Trending Topics