• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Tubesteader Beekeeper. Any thoughts?

Puneet Wagh

So someone just offered this to me for a trade for my Benson and I was wondering if anyone has used these?

I recently got a fender 68 custom vibrolux and the 35 watts is amazing for the clean headroom but the problem is that I mostly have high headroom drives and I was having a bit of trouble getting a good amount of overdrive at home volumes. So I was looking to trade the Benson for something with a little more compression and drive.

And the idea of an ODS type preamp into a clean fender really appeals to me. But I've never owned an actual 'tube preamp' before.

Any thoughts?

Tabor

Any thoughts?
Absolutely worth a try given your situation - take the trade!
Here are two other threads about it so you can get some more information: 1, 2.

I just got one recently and I've been really impressed. I prefer it over the Kingsleys I've tried and those are excellent tube pedals of course...

I'd say if you're thinking that ODS means a very thick, smooth kind of overdriven sound then the Beekeeper isn't quite that; at least it takes some finesse to try to get there. The Kingsley PageD is more along those lines. That kind of sound is, to me, primarily useful for single note leads because it lacks high end or string definition so intervals and chords tend to sound blurry.

The Beekeeper is definitely capable of more compression and a smoother sound than the Benson. Tubes tend to compress more and overdrive with a rounder kind of voice compared to transistors like in the Benson. I still do have some Jfet transistor pedals and Fuzzes that I like though so tubes haven't become the be-all-end-all for dirt sounds for me.

The clean channel is capable of some excellent sounds with that bit of added compression and plenty of EQ control. I really like cranking the "clean volume" control and getting some low-gain sounds out of this channel and adding a solid state boost in front can drive the Beekeeper nicely...

The OD channel is a bit of a balancing act because in a way you wind up with three volume controls but I think of it like having gain stages; control the amount of gain to the clean and OD sides and then use the master volume to decide if you want an overall boost. I detailed a bit more about how I've been setting it up in this post. The combination of the gain stages leads to more compression and a thicker overall sound.

With such a high headroom amp I think it'd be nice to get a pushed tube or two in your signal chain and the Beekeeper seems right up there with the best available options on the market for this application ime. Good luck! :aok

Last edited:

Puneet Wagh

I just got one recently and I've been really impressed. I prefer it over the Kingsleys I've tried and those are excellent tube pedals of course...

I'd say if you're thinking that ODS means a very thick, smooth kind of overdriven sound then the Beekeeper isn't quite that; at least it takes some finesse to try to get there. The Kingsley PageD is more along those lines. That kind of sound is, to me, primarily useful for single note leads because it lacks high end or string definition so intervals and chords tend to sound blurry.

The Beekeeper is definitely capable of more compression and a smoother sound than the Benson. Tubes tend to compress more and overdrive with a rounder kind of voice compared to transistors like in the Benson. I still do have some Jfet transistor pedals and Fuzzes that I like though so tubes haven't become the be-all-end-all for dirt sounds for me.

The clean channel is capable of some excellent sounds with that bit of added compression and plenty of EQ control. I really like cranking the "clean volume" control and getting some low-gain sounds out of this channel and adding a solid state boost in front can drive the Beekeeper nicely...

The OD channel is a bit of a balancing act because you wind up with three volume controls but I think of it like having gain stages; control the amount of gain to the clean and OD sides and then use the master volume to decide if you want an overall boost. I detailed a bit more about how I've been setting it up in this post. The combination of the gain stages leads to more compression and a thicker overall sound.

With such a high headroom amp I think it'd be nice to get a pushed tube or two in your signal chain and the Beekeeper seems right up there with the best available options on the market for this application ime. Good luck! :aok
Thank you for such a detailed post! I'll take a look at your settings as well. But yeah, I really really appreciate the input :)

I'm definitely leaning towards taking the trade. I was looking for a King tone Soloist or a Thorpy FX the Dane but this seems like a cool left field choice :)

Puneet Wagh

The OD channel is a bit of a balancing act because in a way you wind up with three volume controls but I think of it like having gain stages; control the amount of gain to the clean and OD sides and then use the master volume to decide if you want an overall boost. I detailed a bit more about how I've been setting it up in this post. The combination of the gain stages leads to more compression and a thicker overall sound.

I have a question about the noise floor cause my amp is slightly noisy and I was wondering how the Beekeeper fairs in that regard?

Tabor

I have a question about the noise floor cause my amp is slightly noisy and I was wondering how the Beekeeper fairs in that regard?
I find it rather quiet. I have solid state pedals that have a higher noise floor. I’m using the adapter that came with it. Apparently keeping the tubes on the outside helps mitigate noise issues in tube based designs.

Puneet Wagh

I find it rather quiet. I have solid state pedals that have a higher noise floor. I’m using the adapter that came with it. Apparently keeping the tubes on the outside helps mitigate noise issues in tube based designs.
Hey! Sorry for the incessant questions but you're the only one who can help me haha.

Just gonna go pick it up but I was wondering if you've had any problems with the pedal getting too hot cause of the tubes? On my board, it'll be right above the power supply mounted underneath and I was wondering if that's an issue

Tabor

Hey! Sorry for the incessant questions but you're the only one who can help me haha.

Just gonna go pick it up but I was wondering if you've had any problems with the pedal getting too hot cause of the tubes? On my board, it'll be right above the power supply mounted underneath and I was wondering if that's an issue
I've had it next to a power supply without issue. I would assume that being over a power supply would further distance the pedal from the supply although it might depend on the conductive property of the material(s) between them (?)

It does get a little hot as high voltage tube devices will do but I think more of the heat is dissipated with the tubes being halfway out and even some Kingsley fans put tons of tube pedals all over their boards with supplies underneath without issue and those pedals get a bit hotter ime maybe because the tubes are inside.

Keep in mind there was a debate about the pedal's powering at one point. There are some units that take 600mA and then later Tubesteader started making them for 500mA because that's easier to power with the power supplies in the market. Mine takes 600mA but like I said I just use the dedicated adapter anyway...

Puneet Wagh

I've had it next to a power supply without issue. I would assume that being over a power supply would further distance the pedal from the supply although it might depend on the conductive property of the material(s) between them (?)

It does get a little hot as high voltage tube devices will do but I think more of the heat is dissipated with the tubes being halfway out and even some Kingsley fans put tons of tube pedals all over their boards with supplies underneath without issue and those pedals get a bit hotter ime maybe because the tubes are inside.

Keep in mind there was a debate about the pedal's powering at one point. There are some units that take 600mA and then later Tubesteader started making them for 500mA because that's easier to power with the power supplies in the market. Mine takes 600mA but like I said I just use the dedicated adapter anyway...
I think this is the newer one so should be 500mA. I'm going to have it on my board hooked up to my truetone CS 12. It has a 12V output and the total current provided is 3000mA. I'm currently using around 1700mA, so I should have enough juice :)

Puneet Wagh

Holy ****... this pedal is UNBELIEVABLE! It's like I'm hearing my amp actually just turned up! This is my first D-style pedal and I guess I really love that sound haha! But yeah, going into a high headroom Fender, the sound is magic. I think I'll keep the clean as an always on from now. And the overdrive is so smooth and creamy. Literally the OD sound in my head! Thanks so much for the help and suggestions guys. Gonna dig into your threads for some more tips :)

https://ibb.co/44NfmMY

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
I think this is the newer one so should be 500mA. I'm going to have it on my board hooked up to my truetone CS 12. It has a 12V output and the total current provided is 3000mA. I'm currently using around 1700mA, so I should have enough juice :)
Have you been able to power the beekeeper with the truetone cs12? I have one cs7 that could power a 12v Kingsley jester and another cs7 that couldn’t. When I contacted Truetone about this they didn’t recommend powering the jester from either cs7 as it risked long term damage to the regulator.

If you start to get more into tube pedals, I would recommend the cioks dc7 or strymon Zuma. Just run into issues trying to power multiple 9v Kingsley pedals from the cs7.

Puneet Wagh

Have you been able to power the beekeeper with the truetone cs12? I have one cs7 that could power a 12v Kingsley jester and another cs7 that couldn’t. When I contacted Truetone about this they didn’t recommend powering the jester from either cs7 as it risked long term damage to the regulator.

If you start to get more into tube pedals, I would recommend the cioks dc7 or strymon Zuma. Just run into issues trying to power multiple 9v Kingsley pedals from the cs7.
My truetone is powering the Beekeeper no problem. Since the power is shared, I have it plugged into an outlet that says 100mA but since the total draw was around 1680mA, the Cs12 had more than enough juice for the BK. Just had to switch that outlet to 12v from 9v. But yeah, it's silent and there aren't any issues. Honestly don't think I'd go to a different power supply after getting the CS 12. It's been fantastic, silent and super powerful.

Doug59

Gold Supporting Member
You guys are making me want to try one of these. Would this be overlap to an Ethos and Van Weelden?

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
Holy ****... this pedal is UNBELIEVABLE! It's like I'm hearing my amp actually just turned up! This is my first D-style pedal and I guess I really love that sound haha! But yeah, going into a high headroom Fender, the sound is magic. I think I'll keep the clean as an always on from now. And the overdrive is so smooth and creamy. Literally the OD sound in my head! Thanks so much for the help and suggestions guys. Gonna dig into your threads for some more tips :)

https://ibb.co/44NfmMY
TOLD YOU SO! :) Even the Clean channel can push your amp into some really nice smooth drive. Love the design and tone!

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
You guys are making me want to try one of these. Would this be overlap to an Ethos and Van Weelden?
I don’t know about the Ethos. The one I heard was not like this, but I didn’t really explore it.

The Van Weelden is it’s own beast. Maybe some overlap, but I don’t have mine anymore so can’t comment specifically.

Do you already have both of those?

Doug59

Gold Supporting Member
I don’t know about the Ethos. The one I heard was not like this, but I didn’t really explore it.

The Van Weelden is it’s own beast. Maybe some overlap, but I don’t have mine anymore so can’t comment specifically.

Do you already have both of those?
Yes I do. The Beekeeper and the demos have me interested though.

Puneet Wagh

Yes I do. The Beekeeper and the demos have me interested though.
For me, it seems like such a 'duh' moment now. Have a high headroom amp and can't get the tubes cooking at home? Get a tube-based overdrive. With the BK I think there's enough control on there to get a lot of sounds, assuming you like D style sounds. Haven't tried the WV overdrive though. When I'm stuck like this, I always try to ask the question, "what gap do I need filled." For me, it was just a way to get smooth overdrive and maybe try to get some values cooking at lower volumes. Is there something the VW doesn't give you?

Doug59

Gold Supporting Member
For me, it seems like such a 'duh' moment now. Have a high headroom amp and can't get the tubes cooking at home? Get a tube-based overdrive. With the BK I think there's enough control on there to get a lot of sounds, assuming you like D style sounds. Haven't tried the WV overdrive though. When I'm stuck like this, I always try to ask the question, "what gap do I need filled." For me, it was just a way to get smooth overdrive and maybe try to get some values cooking at lower volumes. Is there something the VW doesn't give you?
Basically, I'm an overdrive junkie. :D

Trending Topics