TubeSync bias engine

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by steelguy, Dec 7, 2016.

1. steelguy

steelguy Member

Apparently this product has been out for about 6 years. I just found out about it while researching for a tube upgrade and about installing adjustable bias trim pots for my Mesa Boogie Mark 3. These can be retrofitted to any tube amp. Sound like an ideal solution for non adjustable Boogies. I just joined the forum and found no threads on this product thru search. Product originates in UK. I'd think they'd be all over the place now. Anyone use these??

2. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

Replace a pot with a microcomputer? Not for me. The words "edge connector" and "tube amp" do not intersect for me.

gldtp99, Washburnmemphis and xtian like this.
  3. xtian

xtian Member

Yes, it represents a new point of failure. Still, I like investigating all tube-related tech, so bring on the schematics!

4. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

I'll bet that's what's in the Fender Super Bassman (300W).

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
  6. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

Not really. With an SVT, if a tube gets too far out of spec, the amp shuts down - gig spoiled. With the Fender and this fancy system, the amp carries on at reduced power - gig saved.

7. steelguy

steelguy Member

not really a techie, but seems it would be a plus to have tubes optimally adjusted automatically in real time (according to how cold or hot you want to run em) would be a plus too. I was was hoping to get feed back from users of this thing. Maybe I should post in regular amp and gear section.

8. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

I'm sorry----- but to me it seems like a complex answer to a question that no one has asked----- fixed bias amps already have simple (and usually reliable) Bias Circuits to provide the negative Bias Voltage to the output tube control grids---- some don't have trim pots to adjust the Bias Voltage but many do.
    One Silvertone 1484 head in my shop has been running without a bias trim pot for over 50 years (bias e-cap has been replaced with a new one)---- It just isn't that hard to find output tubes that will operate in a safe zone and sound great in this amp--- I see other brands of non-adjustable fixed bias amps frequently.
    Why does the Bias Supply need to monitored/adjusted many times per second ?
    Simple answer is: It Really Doesn't

9. Jon

Jon Member

I've had one in my '73 Silverface Twin for around 6 yrs now - plenty of gigs and only one tube failure (which the system identified).

It allows you to run at half power by using 1 pair of tubes, & it can change which pair it uses each time you switch on, to share the wear. You can even footswitch between pairs of tubes - but to be honest, I tried this will a pair of 6L6s and a pair of EL34s and the difference wasn't huge - certainly not so much to make it worth doing at a gig - I imagined switching to EL34's would give more crunch for heavier parts but the effect was more of a subtle eq change - makes you realise that the difference between Marshall and Fender isn't largely just the output tubes.

For me the biggest benefit is being able to change output tubes without having to get it biased - as long as you've got matched pairs in the inside and outside positions, it all works perfectly.

10. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

Looks like a cool system. Unfortunately no authorized service points here in the US (according to website) and very few outside the UK.

11. GT100

GT100 Member

how much for the kit?

Lloyd