Tubezone and RC boost.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by raj, Jun 6, 2006.

1. raj

raj Member

Hello guys, this is Raj. Been browsing through this forum and have finally signed up for an account. ;P

Well, I have heard and read so much about the Tubezone, and have decided to order one. You guys think it's a right choice?

Another thing, I've also read a lot of rave reviews about the RC booster.
    And I just want to know two things,

1.)What justifies the prices of these two units? The RC booster and the Tubezone.
    2.)What is the RC booster really used for, simply a clean boost? EQ? and what is a clean boost really about? I just heard that it thickens things up and makes everything sound better?

Thanks in advance for clearing up my doubts, my friends. :)
    sorry for my ineptitude, trying to learn as much as i can here.

2. Jose Luis Garci

Jose Luis Garci Member

Hi Raj,

I own both, but I don't use them together. :p

MI Audio Tube Zone is a very compressed distorsion, with six solid state amplification stages. It is not the concep of crancking the amp, it sounds the way it sounds, and so do you. For me, very good overdrive, I use it mainly with my 335 and a delay on a Twin Reverb.
    I had to work this pedal a little to get the sound i like.

I use the RC booster with the BB preamp. I like diferent tone when playing the theme with the band than when soloing. When playing inside the band, I use only the BB preamp ecualized to sound round, not to agressive. With the RC Booster, I add volume and some treble to the sound, to solo in a more shredder way ...

Enjoy them. :AOK

3. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Raj,
    there is a mint, used RC Booster for sale in the Emporium ;)

4. raj

raj Member

What I'd like to understand is how the RC booster is applied.
    Any help? :)

5. Last Nerve

A couple ways...

with the BASS and TREBLE EQ knobs..you can cut OR boost the high or low end as you like....or leave it uneffected...cut treble...boost bass...makes a GREAT treble booster for solos

you can run the GAIN up high, as a low OD type sound, with VOL to taste

you can run the VOL up high, GAIN low, as a nice clean boost that will fatten your signal and/or drive it down a long pedal chain

I'm probably missing a few techniques too

6. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

7. Sid

Sid Member

Aj...was just about to say watch the videos...Lotsa credit to Prosound...they showcase their pedals really well....I get sick of companies and manufacturers...who put up pedals but cant find a damn soundclip:NUTS

Look at BOSS..that virtual pedaloard where u can switch on effects in various configs and hear the sound....now thats why they r commercial...

And it snot that difficult to do either:messedup

8. raj

raj Member

Thanks a lot!

9. dave s

dave s Member

WHERE? Link please? I've been looking for one for about 2 months now!

dave

10. Last Nerve

11. raj

raj Member

I've seen almost 80% of the vids on the RC booster at their website, and they all deal with cleans.

I'm just keen to know how it'd work with a distortion pedal running before it. Hmm. ;l

So it'll be ****** when I use it with a heavy dist pedal?

12. raz

raz Member

It depends on the pedal you combine it with, raj. I think it works superbly in front of or behind the other Xotic pedals, which should come as no surprise.

It generally works superbly behind any pedal except perhaps all-out fuzz pedals.

How it works in front of another OD or distortion pedal will depend on the pedal circuitry, how you dial the knobs on both pedals, what guitar you're using, what amp you're using, and what you like to hear.

With a strat-type guitar, the RC dialed in for subtle effect will thicken the signal into the Tube Zone and produce some good results approximating the meat of humbuckers. With a humbucker-equipped guitar, I think that reduces the Tube Zone to mud. By the same token, the Tube Zone dialed into fairly extreme output will just hammer the input of the RC if the RC is placed after the Tube Zone in the chain. Again, there's some usable sounds there, but whether they're what you like is going to be completely dependent on you.

I don't think the RC and the Tube Zone are a particularly magical combination, all things considered. The Tube Zone tends to be a very dominant voice and I don't usually run it in combination with the RC. I let it do its own thing. But that's me, and your mileage will almost certainly vary.

Regardless, I think a good neutral clean boost pedal is an essential tool for any guitarist to keep handy. The RC is an excellent and affordable candidate, and my choice because the tone and gain controls make it very flexible. So I'd say you aren't going to be wasting your money if you buy both the RC and the Tube Zone and check them out for yourself. Perhaps you'll find magic I haven't found, perhaps not. But I don't think you'll regret having both pedals available to you.

13. Last Nerve

NO...I don't think so. I use my RC alot with both channels of my Shiva.

14. raj

raj Member

Thanks a lot, my friends. :) And I guess the RC boost will not do much for a SS 30 watter yeah? Sigh,

And Raz, so what do you think would compliment the Tubezone? Anyway, you guys have been a great help.

15. Jose Luis Garci

Jose Luis Garci Member

The question is for Raz, but i'll give an answer :p

IMO, a good delay is the best friend of the Tube Zone ...:dude

16. raj

raj Member

Thanks, for delay I'm thinking in the lines of a DE7. Cheap and good. Boutique delays are too expensive to experiment with.

17. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

It can get pretty scratchy with it's clipping. I find it to be pretty "dynamics responsive" so I think it works better running in front of any distortion. Maybe a clean boost or a compressor would work better in front of it.

Brett

18. raj

raj Member

I'm sorry, but I'm kinda confused by your post. Are you referring to the DE7 or the RC booster? Actually, I'm confused by the whole thing. :)

19. Sid

Sid Member

frankly I dun see why you need the RC booster:BOUNCE ...

perhaps you could state what you are trying to achieve outta this combo...if its more gain...well the Tubezone is just full of high gain:Devil

20. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

Sorry about that. I was referring to the RC Boost. It's clipping isn't really smooth, but looser, scratchier, almost like overdriving a channel on a mixer but not quite as scratchy. It seems more like a clean/dirty boost as opposed to a true overdrive.

It breaks up more like the TC Jauernig Luxury Drive Model T. More like it needs to be in front of your overdrive. When I run it into a Barber LTD, it adds touch sensitive clipping to the very smooth LTD. It's clipping circuit sounds best to me going into an amp that is at the edge of breakup already as opposed to a pristine clean amp.

On the other hand, when the gain is set to a lower position, it does add a bit of a "sparkle" to chords, especially single coil. If you turn the treble down, it does smooth out a bit. It all depends on how you set it up.

Brett