Tuck and Patti on woodsong

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by L5player, Oct 22, 2005.

1. L5player

L5player Member

Here is a video clip of a show that featured Tuck and Patti at woodsongs.com.

Tuck and Patti

As with the other post of Tommy Emmanuel, this clip is around 165 megs so broadband dl only!

A rare opportunity to see Tuck in action if you are not yet familiar with him.

Jim

2. Mike

Mike Member

L5,

thanks for posting that!

Heh, heh! Talk about wierd juxtapositions...
    T&P guesting on the "Olde Time Folk Hour"!

It's even harder to believe that he had the whole George Benson catalogue prior to 1978 nailed, before he developed that style to accompany Patti.

The L5 is strung with .011's and is 1/4 inch off the board at the 12th fret (easily). He also copped all of Amos Garrett's 2 and 3 string bends on that axe with that action - amazing. Notice right before they play, he touches the back of the headstock. Trivia question- why does he do that?

Mike

3. L5player

L5player Member

I know the answer to that so I'll leave it to someone else to answer. I've known Tuck for many years and took some lessons from him back in the early 80's. Last time I saw him was at Kirkwood. Here's a pic:

Jim with T&P

I brought my folks up to see them for the first time in Kirkwood which was coincidently their 50th wedding anniversary. I surprised them by arranging ahead of time for Patti to announce the occasion to the crowd and then they played "My Romance" for them. It was pretty touching! Totally blew my folks away!

They are both really great people. BTW, here's a hint to the question: Think olives...

Jim

4. Mike

Mike Member

Hah! You're from the "Way Back" machine!
    I took lessons from Tuck in the '83-'85 time frame.
    When "Tears of Joy" came out, (vinyl) Windham Hill Jazz (new label at the time) loaned them a good stereo so they could hear it in all its fidelity. They played it for me on that rig before it was released. I said, "So much for you guys remaining in my exclusive domain."

The rest is history! Olives indeed! Tuck's looking a lot like Meher Baba these days....

Mike

5. L5player

L5player Member

Very cool! I remember it was a couple of years before that tape came out after I took lessons from him. (yes, it was available on cassette) Great story Mike! LOL I know exactly what you mean Mike. They were pretty much undiscovered at the time I knew them. Just starting out and before they got married, maybe a year or two into it but less than three because they were married in the third year. (I just can't remember the year...)

Now, they are so busy!

You going to see them at Yoshi's in November?

Jim

6. Mike

Mike Member

I'd need to check, but I believe I met them in 1984, and that was year 6 of them being together, if I'm remembering correctly. I'm actually studying with a sax player here in Santa Cruz that used to "live" with a group of musicians including Patti, before she met Tuck. I have a friend from New Jersey (now) named Rory Stuart, who is close with T&P, (from Tuck's Benson-Stanford days) and in fact they did one of Rory's tunes on one of their CD's.

I used to catch them every Tuesday night at La Boheme in Cupertino. Used to help them load up their crappy gray little foreign car for the trip back to Menlo Park! LOL.

I usually check them out for Valentine's day over here at the Kuumbwa Jazz Center. I don't get out much any more!

Mike

7. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Tuck is an AMAZING player.