Tuck Andress

LoopyBullet

Silver Supporting Member
I remember Julian Lage mentioning him in a clinic when he talked about learning songs without being limited with the outline of the chords. He said Tuck was the one who taught him to learn the bass and melody first, and then fill in the middle with whatever else. Cool player! Haven't listened to him too much other than a few YT vids though!

gman1951

Gold Supporting Member
He's been around since the early 70's (maybe earlier). He initially entered the scene as the duo, "Tuck and Patti", and is a true master of the accompanist. An old girlfriend introduced me to them soon after I got out of the Army in '73. He was amazing then, and has just gotten better with age! He gives new meaning to the whole "one-man-band" idea; so much fun to watch!

amstrtatnut

I took lessons from Tuck in the early eighties. (Before Annie Clark was born) Fantastic guy. Fantastic player. My all time favorite teacher. A musical encyclopedia.

Once he started touring, we lost touch.

Little known fact: He played with the Gap Band at some point. I havent been able to find recordings.

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
He's been around since the early 70's (maybe earlier). He initially entered the scene as the duo, "Tuck and Patti", and is a true master of the accompanist. An old girlfriend introduced me to them soon after I got out of the Army in '73. He was amazing then, and has just gotten better with age! He gives new meaning to the whole "one-man-band" idea; so much fun to watch!
Tuck and Patti's albums first appeared mid-80's, on Windham Hill.
He's a master. I read one interview where he said he wanted to have a Tuck and Patti versus Ella and Joe match.

amstrtatnut

Was this in the greater SF Bay Area? Seems to me when I was a kid (in the early 80s) that Tuck and Patti were performing fixtures in the Bay Area.

Yes, we even lived on the same street in Menlo Park. Until they bought a house and moved. They played frequently at the New Varsity Theater in Palo Alto.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
Me too. We have had this discussion before right? I spent my teenss thru 30s on the peninsula. Late 70s thru late 90s, before moving to the Chico area. How bout you?

I more or less grew up in the South Bay/Peninsula (so from late 70s to now, really -- give or take time I spent in Marin in the 90s).

laughingsam

i found t&p when i was in high school in the late 80s. loved their covers and patti's voice on anything. but tuck's playing just floored me.

a couple years later, i got a chance to see 'a night of chet atkins style guitar' at wolf trap's filene center. the bill that night was leo kottke, tuck & patti, and chet atkins himself. i literally couldn't even find anyone to give my extra ticket away to because in 1992 (?) that was not a hip lineup to most folks. it still remains one of the most amazing and memorable nights of my music-going life.

gman1951

Gold Supporting Member
Tuck and Patti's albums first appeared mid-80's, on Windham Hill.
He's a master. I read one interview where he said he wanted to have a Tuck and Patti versus Ella and Joe match.

I stand corrected! Memories fade with time :confused:.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
Me too. We have had this discussion before right? I spent my teenss thru 30s on the peninsula. Late 70s thru late 90s, before moving to the Chico area. How bout you?

Speaking of the New Varsity in Palo Alto, when was the last time you were on that stretch of University?

It's weird seeing what's happened to it as a historic building used commercially but not as a theater.

image.jpg

Trending Topics

Top Bottom