Tune up "The SG"

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by reomi, Jan 25, 2008.

1. reomi

reomi Member

Picked up a 79 "The SG" from a buddy a while back, I've just now gotten around to playing it and I really enjoy the way it feels. However, the "dirty fingers" pups aren't working for me. I want to change the pups and harness and have looked through this and other forums. WCRs and RS seem to be the majority of recommendations. Antiquities and highorder pups are mentioned too.

I'm not sure how to interpret the reams of SG info out there since most are not made out of walnut but mine is. I'm through a BF super reverb 99% of the time. I'm after a derek trucks/allmans tone. Sage advice is appreciated.

2. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Before you change the pickups, try the second padded input.

3. reomi

reomi Member

That's a good suggestion. I'm already having trouble getting good note separation when I play chords through the Super, but its really bad with the SG.

Anyone know how a Walnut body would affect the sound of an SG?

4. photoguy

photoguy Member

In 79 there were 2 models of The SG. the Standard was walnut and the Deluxe was mahogany body. Both had the "all new exposed super hot specially wound rear Velvet Brick Super Humbucking pickup that features one cream and one black coil"---from the catalog page.

Otehr than the wood type, both models seem the same.

5. reomi

reomi Member

My guitar appears to be made of walnut. Everything I've read describes the tone of walnut as "transparent" or some other not too helpful term. I suppose there isn't much of a difference between the two in terms of tone? If so I'll just proceed as normal with the upgrades.

6. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I bought one of those new in 1980. My first "real" guitar. I remember it played very nice but I don't remember much about the tone. I took the Velvet Brick humbucker out an put it in my Washburn Electric guitar. Sounded great in my Washburn.

I put a Dimarzio SD in the bridge position of the SG and then traded even for a 1974 Black 20th Anniversay Les Paul Custom.