Tuneomatic bridge help/recomendations...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Muddy#1, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Muddy#1

Muddy#1 Member

I'm putting together a project guitar and considering a tuneomatic string through,(think old vee's)instead of a hardtail.If anyone has some recommendations or input,I'd appreciate it...

i)I play fingerstyle,so a wider string spacing is prefered.I'm going to use standard polepiece pickups,(p-90's) instead of a rail-type,so I realize they need to line up properly.
    ii)bridge tonality;brass vs. non-brass.
    iii)also considering a recessed bridge mount.
    iv)roller/locking/standard bridge?

Thank you...

2. RadackGuitars

RadackGuitars Supporting Member

couple things.
    if you're using P90's, you need to use the standard Gibson string spacing. P90's aren't available with a wider string spacing. Most Tuneomatics come with pre-notched saddles anyway.
    with a string-thru, you're going to want a shallower neck angle and maybe recess the bridge, or else there will be too much break angle of the string behind the bridge.
    gotoh and tonepros both make great new tuneomatics.

3. Muddy#1

Muddy#1 Member

"couple things.
    if you're using P90's, you need to use the standard Gibson string spacing. P90's aren't available with a wider string spacing. Most Tuneomatics come with pre-notched saddles anyway.
    with a string-thru, you're going to want a shallower neck angle and maybe recess the bridge, or else there will be too much break angle of the string behind the bridge.
    gotoh and tonepros both make great new tuneomatics."

I hear some good things about Tonepros and have also looked at Gotohs.As I mentioned in my initial post,I'm looking into the recess bridge.Jason Lollar has custom made wider spaced p-90's,but I'm not prepared to spend the extra coin.I'm probably over complicating things,but there are many things to consider...Thanks for the info.

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the string-thru v thing looks cool, but a stop bar will be easier to bend on, due to there not being excessive string length behind the bridge.

also, +1 to the point that the tune-o-matic can bow in the middle if the string angle is too steep.

if gibson made a flying v custom with a regular stop bar, i'd buy it.

5. Muddy#1

Muddy#1 Member

Walter,

That's a consideration,but a recessed bridge will cure the steep angle factor.Many trapeze tailpiece guitars,especially the big bodied archtop variety ,have excessive string length.This particular project will feature a short scale/reverse headstock for easier bending.I have a hardtail bridge I bought for this same project ,over a decade ago.I must admit ,it's more of an aesthetic thought.

Thanks for your expertise.