• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Tuner for Drop C/B tunings...

IRG

I have an older Boss TU-15, but it doesn't seem to be able to tune/read the lower 4 strings. Not sure I have the right setting, it has a drop D setting, but drop C seems to confuse it. The tuner on my M5 can do it just fine, not sure how accurate it is, but at least it doesn't get confused. However, it's a big pedal to be mostly used as a tuner right now. So how about a TC Electronic Polytune Mini v2? It mentions drop D, but I don't see drop C or B listed. Can it do it? Other tuners (pedal or clip on would be fine). I like the size of the Polytune, would be great to have something permanent on my board.

Sociophile

"Ignore" Button Aficionado
Sonic Research Turbo Tuner! The mini is about to come out, and it is far more accurate than your average tuner at the lower ranges.

DNW

Since I got my Turbo Tuner, I don't think I'd really bother with anything other than one of those. I dunno about preset tunings other than that it can do it and I'm pretty sure you can save your own in there. I always just use the std chromatic mode, and aside from setting tuning offsets, I've never really understood why anyone does otherwise. :dunno Most of my guitars are 7-strings, and it also does just fine with my 5 and 6-string basses.

Not sure why your TU-15 would struggle to read the bottom 4 strings though. Maybe the low B or low C, but above that bottom string you're in normal guitar tuning territory. You could try tuning with the 12th fret natural harmonics. Other things you can do to help a tuner track are roll the tone pot off and play on the neck pickup. A lot less pesky harmonics to get in the way of the tuner's tracking, leaving a nice strong fundamental tone.

feet

Gold Supporting Member
my old turbo tuner and old v1 polytone mini can figure out low tunings, but it isn't instant. they sometimes need a second to figure out what is going on, or i need to hit another string and come back to it. i do gown as far as a#, if that helps.

Reactions: IRG

slybird

I use my phone. The app I use is called Strobe Tuner on Android. It works for the full range of the piano keyboard, is free, and requires minimal permission. I've had no problems using it to tune up my bass and cello. Also has a ton of temperament options that I have never used.

Last edited:
Reactions: IRG

You could try tuning with the 12th fret natural harmonics. Other things you can do to help a tuner track are roll the tone pot off and play on the neck pickup. A lot less pesky harmonics to get in the way of the tuner's tracking, leaving a nice strong fundamental tone.
have you tried this IRG?

IRG

have you tried this IRG?
No, good idea, and I will tonight. The app idea is cool too, will search for that. I just started using Source Audio's app for their chorus pedal, very cool use of technology, and simple to use.

I heard the Turbo Tuner was coming out with a mini, might look for that. And the TU-3 could easily do what I need, I guess I hadn't even looked at it. Likely a better buffer in it too, although my old TU-2 didn't seem to be too problematic. Some good suggestions here, thanks.

Sparkfriction

my good old pitch black does handle low tunings even with my seven string guitar tuned to drop c with the lower B to G.

Trending Topics